Black Bird Calls

"What is it?" Ben asked me curiously.

I then realized I was staring at him. Who wouldn't look at him? He was flawless, you wouldn't pin him for a criminal you would more likely pin him as an actor or a model. He had perfect cheekbones, big brown eyes and the best colour of blond hair.

"N-n-n0thing" I stammered.

He smiled at me. He had really white teeth. I smiled back. I then snapped back into reality, this guy was a dangerous criminal! I stopped smiling and stepped backward. He bit his lip. 

"Well I suppose you need to get dressed and pack your bags..." he said turning to face my wall.

I smirked, as I got dressed he stayed true to his word and never looked. I have never heard of a respectful criminal before, but I suppose seeing is believing. 

"I am dressed" I muttered embarrassed.

He turned around and his jaw dropped.

"What is it?" I asked him teasingly.

"You look so different when you aren't wearing that dreary old work uniform" he said gesturing to my outfit.

I smiled, well I suppose you wouldn't suspect the quite shop keeper to dress like I do. (She is wearing: www.polyvore.com/dangerous_girl/s... ) 

I pulled my travelling bag out of my closet. I looked around my room. This was the room where I was born, mother had a home birth. This is the room where I slept as a child. This is the room my friends and I hung out in during the cold winter days. I had so many memories of this place and I was just going to up and leave it, to be honest the thought scared me. All of a sudden Ben's hands were on my waist. I stiffined started by the gesture.

"If you get out and run, I won't blame you" he said to me.

"Are you giving me a chance to run Ben?" I asked.

Ben nodded.

"But won't you get in trouble with your brother?" I asked with concern.

"Most likely, but it's fine Amy, he may be an aggressive person but he would never kill his own brother" he said softly.

I flinched away.

"What is it Amy? Don't you want to escape?" he asked.

I didn't respond. I knew this could be a loyalty test. I moved his hands off my wasit then I started to put clothing and important belongings in my bag. My book, my diary, my drawing book and my favourite necklace which I put around my neck. The necklace was of a bird, the bird was to represent my sister named Merle. The Old French word Merle meant black bird and the necklace had a charm of a black bird. Merle died of Lymphoma when we were younger. This necklace was always warn by her, she wanted me to have it.  I remember her clearly, always smiling even though she was dying inside. I have memories of us playing together when we were young, then one day she was too weak to play, once we got to the hospital the doctors informed us of her Lymphoma. Merle apparently had Lymphoma for awhile but it didn't show because she was being strong. She was too deep in to be cured. Hope was gone. Though mother and father had lost hope entirely, I tried to stay strong for Merle. Merle stayed positive, told us all she fine but I know inside that she knew she was going to die. From then on it was hospital visits. We talked and read together, eventually she was too weak and I had to read to her. One day when Merle wasn't feeling well she gave me her necklace, a few seconds later her intensive care unit heart-rate went flat. I will never forget the horrific noise of the beep. 

I took a photo in a frame off my night table. The picture was of my sister and I under the willow tree by the pond. Tears streamed down my face. Merle would be very disappointed in me for leaving. I didn't notice Ben come up behind me.

"You and her look alike. Is she your sister?" Ben asked curiously.

"Yes her name is Merle, she died of Lymphoma when we were younger...I..I was in the room when she died" I said trying not to cry.

"I'm sorry, I really am" Ben said sincerely.

"T-thank you" I said.

I placed the photo gently on top of my other belongings and zipped the bag up carefully. I through the bag over my shoulder and managed an awkward smile. Ben and I walked into my kitchen and I got out the note paper and my pen. I started to write. 

Dear mother and father,

This town is all I have ever known, it has been a kind shelter. It has been safe. It is full of memories of us when we were a real family. Our outings to the pond, our family get together's, town square events, my old school, and Merle's funeral. If Merle, or any of you for that matter, knew what I am doing you would kill me. I am leaving, this town is too full of memories that haunt me. It's not about any of you, I just need some space. Merle and I wrote a journal when we were in the hospital of all the things we were going to do when she got discharged from the hospital, one of those things was see the world. I am going to see the world and I bring Merle's spirit with me. I don't know if ill ever return from my trip, if I don't I want to thank you. Thank you for raising me in a safe place. I love you both very much.

Goodbye,

Elizabeth

I then looked up and saw the look on Ben's face.

"Elizabeth?" he asked roughly.

I stuttered I was at a loss of words. How do I cover up my lie? I spoke quickly. "Yes. Amy is a nickname."

Ben blankly stared "I don't believe you, and I don't think I ever will any more. Put your phone and all ID on the counter ELIZABETH"

He said my name coldly. Too coldly. 

"I was going to tell you, but I was scared, I was scared you guys would kill me, plus I figured if I really was leaving for good I might as well give myself a new name since I wouldn't be Elizabeth any more anyway!" I said with anger for some reason.

Ben looked at me, if looks could kill "Then what do I call you Amy Elizabeth whatever you are?"

"Please stick to Amy" I said firmly.

Ben rolled his eyes "Your name does take after many queens, your highness lets get a move on before I kill you myself."

I have never seen Ben so frustrated over the few hours that I knew him.

I took one look around my house before I stepped out the door, with tears rolling down my face.

"Get in the back seat" Ben said to me without even looking at me "Let's go, start the car Jim."

Jim practically sensing something was wrong, smiled from ear to ear.What an ass!

I got in the back seat with my bag. I opened my diary and got out my pen...

Dear Sister,

Elizabeth Taylor no longer exists. When I look in the mirror from now on all I see is Amy Merle. I apologize Merle, you are probably disappointed in me for running away and using your name but I have no choice. On the road I go, where I go I don't know. Remember the song we wrote? I do. I don't know where this road will lead for me, but something tells me it won't lead to death. 

-Amy Merle (Deceased Elizabeth Taylor)

I put my diary and my pen back in my bag, and fell asleep looking out the truck window.