Part 3

originally posted 08/08/18

Pairing: mermaid!Tom x siren!Reader

Summary: the emerald tail never fails to make you smile

Word Count: 5.5K+

(sorry if the cut doesn't work!!)

"Because mermaids have hearts."

You laid in bed later that night, Phoebe's last words running through your mind, thinking about how she couldn't be more right. You knew mermaids had hearts, you knew that even before you met one. Mermaids are selfless and seemed to be raised on the idea that they should put others before themselves. You thought about how Tom could've left you to fend for yourself against Scylla, which probably would've been your demise. But even if you had escaped her yourself, you still would've gone home to hear Circe's wrath, scolding you for getting yourself into trouble.

But Tom was courageous and kind, saving you from being eaten by a sea monster. Your mind quickly shifted to earlier today and how he...

almost kissed you.

Your heart swelled at the memory of his gentle touch, caressing your face to lean in closer to you. His last words to you yesterday ran through your head.

"I really like talking to you."

You really enjoyed his company as well, and you'd enjoy it more, if you had told him the truth. He would have kissed you if you hadn't pulled away at the last second. You wanted to kiss him, you did. But he needed to know what he was getting himself into. He didn't know you. He asked about your life, your people but you always dodged it by giving an ambiguous answer, to which he naively accepted. You really liked him but you had to tell him.

You didn't get much sleep last night, too anxious about seeing Tom again.

It's my birthday. I'm 21.

The fact sunk into you as you stared up at the dark rock ceiling, letting out a long exhale. Time was running out, your test would be any day now. But you couldn't worry about that now. You had to see Tom before it happened.

Before I might die.

After a night of restless sleep, you finally decided to get up early and make your way to the Reef, unable to wait to see Tom, hoping that he would be around.

You decided to go out the front of the cave, thinking that no one would be awake. But as you quietly closed the door to your room, a voice startled you. You turned around to see none other than Circe, who seemed uncharacteristically chipper.

"Ah, Y/N, perfect timing! There's a ship coming through, c'mon!"

"Actually, I was going to.... go practice singing," you lied.

"What? No, today's the day! Your test could be tomorrow! And as far as I'm concerned, you don't seem ready," she replied, her tone going flat.

"But I found this place, w-where I've been going to sing and I'm getting really confident in my voice...just please, Circe, let me do this," you pleaded, hoping she would believe you.

She paused for a moment, thinking about the validity of you statement. "Well...if you think it's helping you then...who am I to stop you?"

You grinned at her, amazed that your lie worked. "Thank you, Circe! I won't be gone long," you said as you swam by her, reaching the front exit of the cave.

You were happy that your lie worked and were able to get away. Circe didn't even wish you a happy birthday, and only cared about the stupid test. You knew they only wanted you to succeed— but that was it. There was no care or consideration for how you felt, you were simply a part of the group now and needed to prove your loyalty to them. It was your duty to serve them.