Chapter 2

21 March 1974 | 2 Hours Outside London

Freddie hasn't spoken much to me since the kiss with Roger. To make matters worse, Roger told Brian very loudly the next morning over breakfast that we'd kissed. Freddie left the table as soon as he did and didn't return for twenty minutes.

Now we're on the road headed back to London for the night and I haven't had any time at all to get him alone. Brian's kept me close by since Roger's happy little announcement, even after I told him exactly what happened. It's beginning to get very annoying. Especially right now, when I try to hurry off the bus at the current stop to catch Freddie. Brian grabs my hand, pulling me back.

"Where are you off to so quickly?" he inquires suspiciously. He glances at Roger, who's leaving the bus behind Freddie, and I groan.

"I have to take a piss, Bri. You offering to help?" I snap, yanking my hand out of his and grabbing my bag. I stomp off of the bus before he can call me back, heading around the back of the shop next to the petrol station we've stopped at. I'm rifling through my bag in search of my cigarettes when I run headlong into a chest. When I look up, my stomach drops. It's Freddie.

"Sorry," I murmur, swallowing. He doesn't answer, just turns to lean against the concrete wall beside us. My fingers finally close around my pack of cigarettes, and I tug them out before letting my bag drop back to my side. I glance over at Freddie, who's pointedly ignoring me. I sigh, biting my lip.

"Freddie, did I - did I do something wrong?" I ask, knitting my eyebrows in concern. He shrugs with one shoulder, still not looking at me.

"Now, why in the world would you think that?" he answers coldly. I stare at him, unsure of what to say, but it isn't silent for long. "I mean, it was more a mistake on my part. But, I do hope you and Roger enjoy the rest of the tour together."

My mouth drops open and I laugh dryly, turning to lean my shoulder against the wall.

"Freddie, Roger and I aren't together," I say, dumbfounded. His eyes finally turn to mine, one eyebrow raised.

"So you just kiss everyone who asks you to?"

I try hard not to roll my eyes, pulling a cigarette out. It breaks in my haste and I toss it to the ground before pulling out another.

"First of all, I don't appreciate what you're implying, Freddie," I say, my voice shaking slightly. I light the cigarette with a match, taking a drag before pulling it back out of my mouth.

"Secondly, who I kiss is honestly none of your business. And, thirdly, it meant absolutely nothing. We were playing around."

Freddie stares at me, his eyes narrowing.

"Yes, and it obviously wasn't the only game you were playing."

I shake my head, taking another drag of my cigarette. The smoke burns as I inhale.

"Freddie, why do you care if I kissed Roger?"

"Do you want him?"

We ask our questions at the same time, both of us pausing to wait for an answer. I look away, my eyes on the treeline in front of us, and shake my head.