"Judy, did someone hurt you?"

His question was so unexpected that she stared at him with wide eyes but didn't say anything. Then without a warning one small tear started falling her cheek as if to confirm Dennis' suspicions and his heart fell. He cautiously made a step towards her, wrapping her in his strong embrace. Feeling his arms around her she gave in to her grief and bursted into tears. Dennis held her close and softly kissed the top of her head while she wept with her head against his chest. Her ear was pressed against his skin and she could hear his heartbeat that was soothing her in a way she couldn't even imagine. His jaw clenched and unclenched while he tried to calm himself down because the truth was he wanted to kill whoever had dared to hurt Judy like that. And that reminded him he probably wasn't the only one.

"Do the others know?" He asked softly.

She didn't respond but he felt her shook her head slightly. He gently lead her to his bedroom and helped her sit down. Reaching with his hand he gently took her chin and lifted her head so he could look at her.

"I'm glad you trusted me enough to come here. I want you to get some some sleep now. Tomorrow morning we'll talk and decide what we're going to do. I want you to know that you're not alone. I'll always be by your side whenever you need me."

With that he leaned and gently kissed the top of her head.

"Get some rest now." He said and turned around to walk out of the room.

"Dennis?" Judy's quiet shaky voice stopped him on his tracks. "Would you...stay here?"

He turned around to look at her and nodded before he moved and pulled the only chair in the room close to the bed.

"No I mean...here." She moved on the bed to make space for him. "Would you just...hold me?"

"Are you sure?"

She nodded and he carefully climbed under the covers. She moved to put her head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around her. They remained silent. Judy closed her eyes listening to his heartbeat and taking comfort from the way his chest rose and fell soothingly under her head. Tears were still rolling down her cheeks and he could feel them when they landed on his bare skin. He gently kissed the top of her head. Eventually the tiredness took over her and she drifted off, but for Dennis sleep was elusive.

After that he did everything he could to make her feel better. He was the one to catch Evan Roberts and prove he had raped her. He stood by her side when she had to give her statement and he went with her to the hospital when she had to be examined. He never left her side during the whole ordeal and she couldn't be more thankful to him.

She looked down at the teddy bear in her hands and couldn't help but smile. It was the first one Dennis had given her when she was shot during a really tough case and was recovering at the hospital. He had come to the hospital with a couple of different bouquets of flowers, a box of chocolates and the teddy bear. She had kept it close to herself during her hospital stay and it was the only thing she took with her when she was discharged and Dennis came to take her from the hospital.

The sound of the doorbell took her out of her thoughts and she hurried to open the door. When she saw who was standing on her doorstep she couldn't help the smile on her face.

"Dennis!" She exclaimed cheerfully and wrapped her arms around him.

When they released she quickly pulled him inside.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

Dennis smiled and shook his head.

"Nah, I took the day off. And I wanted to visit my favourite detective and see how she's doing." He winked at her playfully.

Judy smiled and red color rushed to her cheeks.

They sat on the couch and with the corner of his eyes Dennis spied the teddy bear he had once given her as a 'get well' gift.

"I see you're still keeping that."

"Of course." She nodded. "It was given to me by a very special person and I'm never going to part with it."

He grinned and she got lost into his beautiful smile and the playful shine of his brown eyes. The truth was after everything they've been through she had slowly but steadily fallen in love with him. But she didn't know if he felt the same so she never said anything to him.

"Actually I have something planned for us." Dennis grinned mischievously. "How do you feel about going out with the motorbike?"

"The motorbike?" She still remembered the time when the boys had gone undercover as bikers in order to catch Raymond Craine. She had to ride on  Doug's bike and the experience was far from pleasant. "Sure, I guess."

"If you're not feeling comfortable--"

"No, the bike's fine." She said and gave him a smile.

She quickly got dressed with clothes comfortable for the bike ride and they walked out of her apartment. He helped her on his motorbike and they took off. Her arms were wrapped tight around him and her chin was on his shoulder. His scent was invading her nostrils, a mix of his shampoo and mint bubble gum. Her cheek was pressed against his and the wind was playfully blowing her hair making her feel free and liberated and most of all happy.

They spent the whole day together.

He took her out of town and to a lake his father used to take him and his sister when they were kids. Judy and Dennis walked around the lake and he told her about the fun he used to have with his dad and his little sister. During their walk they found some fruits and mushrooms and he also showed her how to fish. In the evening he built a fire and cooked the fish and the mushrooms.

When Judy tried them she couldn't believe how delicious they were.

"It tastes wonderful!" She exclaimed with full mouth.

"Only the best for you, detective." He winked playfully.

Her heart melted and pink color rushed to her cheeks.

When they finished eating, the stars were already up at the night sky. Dennis took off his leather jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders. He then leaned his back against the nearest tree and Judy leaned against his chest looking up at the sky.

"It's beautiful." She said and she could feel him smile.

"Yes it is. But not nearly as beautiful as you are."

She moved her head to look at him and they stared at each other's eyes. He lifted his hand to remove a piece of hair from her face and fondled her cheek.

"Judy, I--"

"Dennis--"

"I love you."

Her heart jumped in her chest and she stared at him intently. Dennis had told her he loved her and she couldn't believe her ears. Her hand found its way to his cheek and her fingers gently caressed the freshly-shaved skin.

"I love you too." She breathed and closed the space between their faces pressing her lips against his.

It was in this moment that she realized that something good had come out of the whole nightmare she went through because of her rape. She had found a wonderful person who loved her and always stood by her side. He was there whenever she needed him to help her through her ordeals and to show her the light.

And most importantly Dennis had healed her wounds and had done everything to make her happy. He wasn't just her knight in shining armour or her prince on a white horse. He was something way better.

Her soulmate.