fifteen

fifteen
regrets
FIRST PERSON

AFTER HE LEFT, I stayed there in the room. I don't know why but I didn't want to leave. I even made company in searching inside the duffel, which was now emptied out of it's belongings, only football gear.

A couple seconds sitting on the bed and then Rowan entered. I sat up and she looked relieved.

"Hey, what happened?" She asked me.

"Nothing," I sighed defeatedly. "I asked Brandon about Raven and apparently she was making fun of him and Dunbar defended him. She cussed him out."

"Still no answers," Rowan understood why I looked so tired after that. "Is this his duffel bag?"

"Yeah," I nodded.

She went over immediately and started to search through it but only found what I saw: football gear. Then, a random kid came inside of the room.

"Hey, Rowan," he greeted with a smile, turning to me with a wave. "Cynthia, hey."

"Hi?" I said more in confusion because I had no idea who this person was.

The more I looked at him, the more I felt something was strangely off. Then it hit me. That kid; that kid was the one I saw crying. He was the one I made fun of.

How the hell am I supposed to warn Rowan?

"Hi," she responded.

"I didn't know if you were coming tonight," he started to only talk to Rowan, ignoring my presence.

"Yeah, yeah. It was a bit of a last minute decision," she answered, glancing at me in confusion.

Maybe I should leave so I can tell Hailey and Elisia but I didn't want to leave Rowan alone. I still decided with the first option because it would be better to get some help so we both weren't left alone with him.

I didn't know how dangerous he could be. It didn't seem like he was holding anything suspicious but I still wasn't sure.

"Well, I should get going," but I was blocked.

"No. Stay," he told me, standing in my way.

"I would love to," I said nicely. "But we really need to find our friends."

"I called you, Rowan," he directed his attention on her, seeing as she moved closer to me.

She nodded. "I know— I got it, and I'm so sorry. It's been a crazy week."

"I just called because I wanted to make sure you were coming tonight," Dunbar informed her.

I backed up mid conversation because it wasn't something he was including me in. Subtly, I reached for my phone and tried to text Hailey, or anyone.

"Who are you texting?" His voice echoed in my ears.

Of course he doesn't pay me any attention but right when I'm close to getting help, he wants to talk to me.

"Nobody," I shrugged, finishing the text and then shoving it back into my back pocket.

"Seriously, we have to find our friends," Rowan began to get even more nervous.

"I thought we were friends?" Dunbar looked hurt.

I began to panic. I knew it was him, and he said that Rowan and I were next which makes sense as to why he wouldn't let me leave. Even if he isn't directly speaking to me that much, I know he wants him in here for some reason I have yet to find out.

"We are, Eric," Rowan said. Big mistake.

"Eric," he scoffed in disbelief. "We've been going to school together for years and you don't even know my name."

"Rowan," I held back my stutter so he wouldn't know that I was actually afraid. "That's Dunbar. It's Monkey Man."

"My friends; they told me I should make everyone pay," he looked at us before grabbing something out of his backpack. Rowan took this opportunity to push me behind her so she was facing him. "Why are you guys so much better than me?"

I started to grab Rowan's hand, squeezing it.

"All you girls are the same, denying me all the time," his voice was becoming more agitated.

"We're sorry," Rowan whispered.

"You won't stand for it," he whispered back. "See, I told you to meet me at Rebel and you stood me up, again," he pulled out a gun and aimed it at us.

Rowan then squeezed my hand harder and put me more behind her. I was in shock that I couldn't even react, let alone to do anything to protect Rowan, who was making it clear that she rather make sure I was okay than herself.

"I made it so easy. I was always sending you notes— always send you notes. I don't hurt anyone else," he stated. "Okay, shooting her did not feel good, okay, like it did with the birds, okay. It didn't and I don't wanna hurt anybody else...but I have to."

That was until Rowan got a call and he took her phone out of her hand and threw it on the bed.

"I'm right in front of you!" He yelled. "I'm right here Please just see me in front of you for once!" He pulled out his mask and put it on and raised the gun at us again.

Rowan now pushed me behind her so she was all the way in front of me.

"Dunbar!" Hailey yelled until he raised the gun at us.

Ash protected both Hailey and Elisia. Rowan looked behind at me and I grabbed her hand again. Whatever happened, I would always be there.

He rose the gun at us both and shot.

All I heard was the gunshot and I screamed.