chapter nine; river of tears.

Start from the beginning

Magic.

Michael.

She shot up out of bed and yelped in surprise when she realized he was sat in her chair by the fire, watching her carefully.

"Hello." He said.

"Hi." She breathlessly replied.

"How are you feeling?" He politely enquired, as though they were merely acquaintances and not unearthly soulmates from another world.

"Like my entire life is a lie." She replied.

Michael recoiled slightly at her brutal honesty. "I'm sorry."

"I know you are, I can feel it. Eternal bond thingy, remember?" She deadpanned. "Where do we stand on that, by the way?"

Michael hesitated. "It... it was weakened when you were reborn not knowing who I am, but now that you're you again, I suspect it shall be in full effect once more... is that okay?"

She turned around, not wanting to face him. "Don't ask me how I feel about things neither one of us can change."

Through the reflection of her dressing table mirror, she could see his head fall into his hands with remorse. "I thought I was keeping you safe by binding you to me, and instead I've condemned you to countless lifetimes spent chained to the side of a heartless monster. If I had any sense at all, I wouldn't be here. I'd be far away, let you live out your new life in peace." He chastised himself.

"A peaceful state is going to be quite hard to attain now." She laughed, mirthlessly.

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

"For everything."

"I know."

Sighing, she turned toward the fireplace and sat cross-legged next to his chair, leaning against the velvety material wistfully. "But you were right though," Primrose said. "About... my parents. They weren't really my family. Cordelia is my true mother."

Unsure of how to respond, Michael simply laced his fingers through her hair, secretly delighting at the way she instinctively leaned into his touch.

Just like old times.

He spoke quietly, his voice barely above a whisper. "You've been far from my eyes, but always near in my heart."

She moved to sit in between his legs and looked up at the pained expression on his face.

"I can't imagine a world without you by my side." He whispered.

His palm caressed the side of her face and shivered as she realized it had been 18 years since he'd last touched her like that.

"Is this why you let the new world fall to ruins?" She asked. "The people are very unhappy with their 'leader'."

"I succumbed to grief. Your face... it haunted me." He admitted, sadly. "You used to get this look in your eyes, like you felt desperately sorry for me... I see it now."

And it was true. She did pity him. It was illogical but true.

Despite all he'd done, Primrose knew that she had been the only person (bar Ms. Mead) who had ever truly known and loved him.

And she had died.

She had left him all alone.

"I still think you're the most beautiful soul that's ever graced this wretched earth."

And with this comment, suddenly Primrose remembered the precarious state of the earth.

"Oh Michael, what are we going to do?" She sighed into his breeches.

Michael took her small hands and held them within his larger ones.

"Not long ago, when I was still but a stranger to you, and you knew me only as sir... I asked you a question. I asked if you would believe me if I said we had met once before... Well, now I'm asking you to take that leap of faith again."

"The Earth is failing... it won't be long until the universe becomes so deficient in energy it simply eats itself. Now I don't know about you, but I'd like to avoid that. Now that you are returned to me, I have once more the spirit and passion of a younger man with a grander purpose; that dream I once had many years ago of a new world, a dominion for us to rule over, lovers in arms; king and queen."

"There's another world where we're together, happy, United by a child. We could go there... for a price."

Primrose eyed him suspiciously; great things often come with greater consequences. "Which is?"

"This one sacrifice is all I ask, and in return I'll give you everything you've ever wished for... a family."