Chapter 8

The next night was the concert. Micky, Davy, and Peter thought it would be good therapy for Mike. Strumming and singing always seemed to perk him up, never failed to cheer him up at least a little bit.

Well, this time, it did fail. Mike just couldn't concentrate. He played and sang very low and- horror of horrors!- a little bit off-key. Micky and Davy had to make up for his singing on the backing vocals, and Peter had to play extra-heavy on the bass. It sounded, well, strange, to say the least. Several of the club's patrons walked out.

The program didn't help Mike's mood any- starting off with "Valleri," which didn't sound too bad, since Mike wasn't singing lead, and then moving into "What Am I Doin' Hangin' 'Round?", which didn't sound too good.

The third song was one that Mike had written. It was still a little rough, and it was called "Propinquity." The others had tried to convince him to remove it from the program- and, oh boy, the look Mike gave them in return. He was determined to sing it- desperate, almost. The others couldn't figure out why until Micky remembered something- Mike had written the song a long time ago, but hadn't actually put it in the program until Connie showed up. Now, it seemed as though he just didn't have the heart to take it out.

I've known for a long time

The kind of girl you are,
Of a smile that covers teardrops,
The way your head yields to your heart.

Throughout the set, Mike kept his eyes on his guitar. He didn't look at anyone or anything, didn't join in any of the banter, nothing. Even Davy dancing wildly with his maracas couldn't attract his attention.

Of things you've kept inside

That most girls couldn't bear.
I've known you for a long time,

But I've just begun to care.

The other three Monkees kept scanning the crowd and watching the door, as if they were waiting on someone. They would look around, then turn to look at each, then shrug and shake their heads.

I've known of all the heartache,

And I've known of all the pain.
I've seen you when the sun shines,
And I've seen you when it rains.
I've seen you make a look of love

From just an icy stare.
I've known you for a long time,

But I've just begun to care.

Micky was the first to see her. He smiled and waved a drumstick, then used his other drumstick to tap Davy's shoulder and point her out to him.

I know I've been blind
To not have loved you all this time,
But the image of you wasn't clear.
I guess I've been standing too near.

Davy nudged Peter with a maraca and pointed.

Oh, it's taken me a while,

But I have finally found
What you are to me,

And that's what really counts.
And what you are to me

Is something we can share.
I've known you for a long time,

But I've just begun to care.

Micky and Davy both managed to wave and point without breaking the song's tempo. But Peter was less successful when he waved to Connie.