XII

Disclaimer: whenever I put a semi colon (;) at the start or in the middle of a chapter it means that the POV is 3rd person. okay enjoy :)

I went into school Friday feeling tired, annoyed and just downright confused. Why would River kiss me, say sorry and then just leave? Also, who could I talk to about this? Definitely not Wil, River's his other best friend and Winona would tease me mercilessly, I suppose it would just have to be one of those things I kept to myself.

As I walked through the hall after first period, people were giving me weird looks and it certainly wasn't just because of Kiefer and I breaking up, for these were more like glares and looks of disgust. Despite being confused, I decided to keep walking to my locker, keeping my head down as much as possible.

Before I reached my locker a girl stepped out in front of me, I recognised her from my history class, I believe her name was Rosie or something.
"You know, what you did was really low," she said, scowling and folding her arms across her chest.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

She rolled her eyes, "oh, don't play dumb," she spat, "everyone knows you and River slept together whilst you and Kiefer were still dating."

"Who the fuck told you that?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her.

"It's just something that's been going round," she replied.

I looked over at Kiefer who was by his locker and pushed past Rosie, waltzing over to him.
"Have you been telling people I cheated on you?" I asked.

"What? No!" He said defensively.

"Okay, because someone has and you know it's not true," I said, blinking rapidly to try and keep the tears back as much as I could. The whole school thought I was a slut.

"Yeah, I know it's not," he said softly.

"Okay, could you please try and tell some people that?" I asked.

"Of course."

"I just don't know wh-" I stopped mid-sentence. Who was the person who was pissed at both River and I right now? "Hey do you know what class Scotty has next?"

"Uh, I'm not sure. But, I know he just had gym. Why'd you ask?" Kiefer replied.

"Don't worry," I said as I began to make my way down the hall, quickly swivelling around and yelling, "thanks!"

*

I burst into the boys locker room, keeping my head down to avoid seeing anything I didn't want to. A few boys whistled at me as I went past and I tried to ignore them as much as possible, this probably wasn't helping with my reputation right now.

"Holy shi- Kayla?" I heard River exclaimed, gripping his towel around his waist. I didn't stop or anything as I didn't want to speak to him right now, especially not in the locker room, that's for sure.

"Hey Kayla!
I stopped when I saw Scotty, a couple of his friends nudged him and he turned around, a smug grin growing on his face, "oh hey hun, come in here 'cause River wasn't enough action for you?" He asked.

A few guys around him began to snigger at his comment, so I shot glares at a few of them but they didn't stop.
"Why're you spreading fucking rumours about me?" I spat.

"Hey, who said it was me?" He said, smirking smugly.

"I'm not an idiot," I replied, "now the whole school thinks I'm some slut!"

"Look hun-"

"Just because I didn't want to sleep with you," I interrupted, wiping the smug look off of his face. The guys around us turned to him and began to snicker.

Scotty leaned in closer, "come on now, that isn't true," he said between his teeth.

"Well why did you spread it then? What reason do have other than what happened yesterday?" I asked.

"It's no big deal-"

I slapped him clean across the face, surprising not only the people around us but myself too.
"Screw you," I said angrily, I couldn't help but cry and I felt so vulnerable in front of all these guys, "I cant believe I ever thought you were a nice guy."

I stormed out of the locker room and began to go down the hall but I stopped when I heard River's voice.

"Hey!" He called after me, stumbling out of the locker room, "what was that all about?"

I exhaled heavily, "haven't you heard? There's a rumour going around school about us," I said.

"Oh yeah. That," he replied, "just don't worry about it."

I scoffed, "that's easy for you to say. Guys are practically patting you on the back and it's seen as some sort of achievement that you got boned. For me, every one thinks I'm some two-timing slut!"

"Kayla, it's the last day of the semester. After the break no one will even remember, it'll blow over."

"People won't just completely forget about it after two weeks," I said bitterly.

"Hey, you don't need to be a bitch," he said calmly.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "I have every right to be a bitch to you right now."

"Why?" He asked.

"Yesterday? You kissed me and then you just walked away without saying a word. So, can you explain that to me?"

He sighed and put his hands on his hips, not answering my question. I nodded slowly, "Yeah. That's what I thought. So until you can, I don't think you and I can be friends," I smiled halfheartedly at him before going to my next class.

*

That evening I lay in bed, cradling my pillow. This week had been one of the worst in my life: I broke up with my boyfriend, a guy who turned out to be really great kisses me - which was a good thing - and then he just walks away, a guy who I thought was nice spread a rumour about me and the whole school thought I was a whore.

I had locked myself in my room since I got back home, pathetically watching chick flicks and eating ridiculous amounts of popcorn and ice cream. I hadn't told my parents about the whole rumour ordeal and I think they just thought I was still pathetically winging over Kiefer and I's break up.

My phone then wrung, I leaned over to my side table and picked it up, "Kayla?" I heard Wil's voice echo through the phone.

I sighed a little, "hey Wil."

"Having your second breakdown of the week?" He asked, I could feel him grinning through the phone.

I chuckled softly, "I guess if a breakdown is watching Breakfast at Tiffany's whilst I eat my heart, then yes."

"Don't worry about what people think, okay? I know it's hard and upsetting but just think, I know it's not true and so does Winona. Plus, I've told everyone I could that it isn't true. Fuck what people think! Half of our school have shit for brains anyway," Wil said and I giggled a little at his last comment.

"Thanks Wil. I'm just gonna try and enjoy my two-week-break from hell and hope not to see anyone from school."

"That's the spirit," Wil jeered.

"Shut up, you sound like my dad," I said, digging my hand into the bowl of popcorn.

"Well your dad's a great guy."

"Alright, well I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow," Wil said before hanging up the phone.

Fuck man, what a week.

idek why it's taken me this long to get a chapter out, probably because I've been back at school and am still getting used to being hyperactive again. Thanks for hanging in there!