There were a few statues that surrounded the pond; one was in the water, in the center of the pond. I kneel down to see the statues up close. They were all girls with flowing dresses. Four of them surrounded the pond with different, graceful poses. Each of them had wings. One had thin long ones, another had round wings that were pointed at its edges. The one that stood at the middle of the pond was the only one wingless. But still she looked beautiful. Her dress flowed down to her feet. A few strands of her hair were braided and connected by flowers. She had long hair that was curled from the waist down. Her arms were stretched out as if to welcome someone. Her head was tilted slightly to the left and her eyes met the water. All of them looked beautiful.

They glittered like the water in the pond. What caught my attention though was the necklace they were wearing. It looked oddly familiar. I squint to take a closer look at it.

“Is It me or your fond of going off all by yourself?” I turn around and see Daryl standing in front of me holding a book and a soda on the other hand. I grin.

“It’s not that I’m fond of it. I just love having myself as my own company.”

“Narcissist” he teases.

I just roll my eyes at him. He chuckles and kneels down beside me.

“Never knew I’d found someone like you in a green house.”

I raise my eyebrow at him. “What is that suppose to mean? Tss…you’re the one to talk.”

He snickers then hands me his soda. “Want some?” I just stare at it.

“Don’t worry, I didn’t drink from it yet.” He added. I take it then took a sip. “Thanks.” Then I handed it back. He smiles at me then turns to look at the fish.

“This is my favorite place in the Academy. It’s peaceful, solemn, a good place to read.” He said.

“I agree”

Silence fills the room and we both stare quietly at the pond. I sit on a rock and continue to observe the fishes, their gentle strokes as they swim in the water, their scales that shine in the sunlight, every detail. They circle around and around the statue, but just for a moment, all of the fishes swim towards me and I see a flicker of green light from just below them. My eyes widen as I stare at it.

“Well…you’re something to look out for. Havanica.” I hear Daryl mutter. I turn to look at him and his eyes continue to look intently at the fishes gathering in front of me.

“Interesting..very.” he says finally looking at me. Both of our eyes are locked together, none of us show signs of movement to cut off each other’s gaze.

“Well don’t stare at me like that. It makes things more awkward then it already is” I say breaking the silence.

He just grins at me.

***

I sit on our couch still deeply disturbed by what’s been happening. Silly thoughts of enchantment and magic cross my mind here and there.

“UGH! WHATEVER SHOULD I DO?!” I screech out of frustration.

“You could clean your room for a change.” Mom says as she passes by with the groceries.

“That’s not an option mom.” I stand up and help her.

“You seem quite distressed honey. Anything I should know about?”

“More like what you shouldn’t know.” I whisper to myself.

“Pardon?”

“Nothing. School’s….well…school.”

“Oh come on. Any new friends? How about that Clarence kid?”

Well that Clarence kid must be in the general section cuz I have never met him ever since the first day of school.

“Actually I haven’t met the guy yet. What’s his full name?” I say as I take an apple and bite into it.

“Creisler Clarence..or was it Clarence Creisler? I just know his last name is Standford.” She takes a few fruits and puts ‘em in a basket.

My ears ring at the name Creisler. “Oh.” Was all I could manage to answer. No wonder I haven’t ‘met’ him. I had no idea he was Creisler.

I take another bite of my apple.

“Hey mom, why Emerald Academy?”

“What do you mean dear?”

“Of all the schools…why let me go there?”

She faces me and smiles. “Because dear, it’s the school your father said was cheap but had good quality education. And well, he said it was a nice school—wait, why are you asking these questions all of a sudden?”

“Nothing mom. It’s nothing.”

“If you say so Ray.” She says then continues organizing the groceries. A nice school huh.