Steve Harrington Imagine Requested- My Little Buddy

Start from the beginning

Five minutes later, you pulled into the parking lot with a nagging feeling that you forgot something.  You tried to push the feeling to the back of your head as you walked inside, but for some reason you couldn't shake it.

"Good morning Mrs. Harrington!"  One of the cashiers called as you walked past.

"Mornin' Stacy."  You mumbled hardly loud enough for her to hear.  When you reached your office, you plopped your body into the chair behind your desk.  As your eyes took in all the papers scattered on your desk, they fell onto the calendar spread across the wood top.  Just like the calendar at home, a large red star was present under last Monday's date.  A puzzled look played on your face when your co-worker, Suzanne, walked in. 

"Jesus am I glad you're here."  She huffed rolling her eyes before sitting herself on top of your desk.  She began pulling at her cuticles as she continued speaking.

"Ugh," she grunted, "this morning was insane.  Brenda dropped a whole basket of tomatoes on the floor resulting in a huge mess; Gary apparently doesn't know how to use his hands because he dropped some guy's bottle of soda and shattered it right there in front of him; and to top it all off, the shipment didn't come in today.  Oh, and Shelly called out which means we'll have to stock today."

She finally lifted her eyes from her perfectly manicured fingers and noticed your distressed look.

"What's wrong with you?"  She asked in confusion.

You shook your head in an attempt to clear it, but failed miserably.

"I don't know.  I just feel like I forgot something today.  Something is just...missing."

Suzanne gave you a sympathetic look, "I'm sure you'll remember Y/N.  And what better way to help you remember than stocking shelves?"

You chuckled before taking a basket full of items and wheeling it out onto the floor.  You began opening boxes and let out a small laugh.  Of course your immature co-worker was too embarrassed to stock the condoms and tampons.  You hummed along to the radio quietly playing "Take On Me" by A-Ha as you stacked boxes of tampons on the shelf.  Your movements were smooth and second nature.  You began to lose yourself in the music when you stopped abruptly.  Still holding a box of tampons, you took in a sharp breath suddenly remembering what was missing.  Your eyes moved slowly to the box of tampons in your hand and you began to get nauseous.  The red star on the calendar in your room, and the same haunting red start on your office calendar, signified something very important was missing.  A voice from behind you pulled you out of your trance. 

"You alright Y/N?  You look a little pale."  Suzanne said as she placed a reassuring hand on your shoulder.  You jumped back to reality scaring her a little.  She stared at you waiting for you to explain.  You shakily lifted the box of tampons:

"I know what was missing Suzanne."

Suzanne gave you a questioning look, "Tampons?  Why didn't you say so?  I have like a whole box in my purse."

You shook your head furiously, "No Suzanne, my period!  I'm late... a whole week late."

Suzanne's eyes widened, "Oh goodness Y/N.  Hang on, stay here."

She trotted off into the next aisle before coming back with a box of pregnancy tests.  She handed you the box:

"Here."  She began, "Go home and take one of these.  I'll handle the rest of your shift."

You took the box of tests, gave Suzanne a gracious smile and pulled her into a tight hug before heading home.

Driving home was as if you were on autopilot.  Your mind was reeling and not at all focused on the road.  When you pulled into your driveway, you were happy to see that Steve was still at work.  You quickly ran inside, threw your belongings haphazardly onto the coffee table, and made your way to your bathroom.  With your hands shaking, you opened the box of tests and took one.  You had to wait ten minutes before the results would show, so you placed the test on the counter and sat down on the bathroom floor.  Your knee jumped up and down in anticipation.  The clock hanging in your room ticked loudly with every passing minute making your anxiety build even more.  When the tenth minute finally passed, you wearily stood up and took the test into your hands.  Two bold blue lines appeared in the tiny gray window.  You let out a breath as you brought your hand to your mouth.