02. 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗺𝗲

Start from the beginning

When Eszter doesn't respond right away, Michelle managed to find an outfit for the girl. "Ah, here we go. Wear this," Michelle flashed the girl's outfit for tonight--a black-embroidered shirt and black leather jacket, and ripped blue jeans; paired with white Fila shoes.

Smiling triumphantly, Eszter beams at the outfit that her friend picked for her, but she was also a little surprised. "Oh, thank you," Eszter takes the outfit, placing them in her bed as she glances back to her friend. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Michelle merely shrugs, feeling a bit cocky as she hums. "Crying in the corner, probably," checking the times on her phone. Michelle looks up with more urgency as she spins Eszter around, pushing her to get dress. "You've got thirty minutes before you're supposed to meet Peter at the fair."

"Okay, I'm going," Eszter gives her friends a ludicrous look. She turns around to see Michelle was making her way out of the room, giving her friend privacy. "Are you sure you can't go?"

"Change. Now."

"Fine."

💜

The state fair lights twinkle brightly in the night. Walking side-by-side, Eszter and Peter mainly kept to themselves with small conversations. At the start of their awkward night out, Eszter and Peter would often gaze at each other, smiling to show they were enjoying their company.

Eszter knew she should've canceled their date-is it a date? Not really. Well, that's what she assumes. This is exactly why Eszter hoped that Michelle and Ned would tag along to keep the air light and carry on a conversation. It was like ever since the two friends became more aware of their feelings, their friendship seemed like it had changed; they were tenser, and sometimes, they beat around the bush when it comes to having their opinions. Eszter is more nervous and shy, quiet, and often tries to be more confident.

The enhanced misses when they would easily have a conversation over the silliest things, laughing and ranting about whatever it is that comes to mind. Eszter missed when she and Peter would playfully insult each other, it was a weird thing Ned noticed.

Eszter didn't like this. The enhanced didn't like how their feelings for each other are changing their friendship and dislikes the fact that they have to hide behind their friends. Peter and Eszter never changed, but it was merely all in their head.

"What are we doing, Peter?" Eszter sighs, frowning.

"What do you mean?"

The enhanced rolls her eyes. "You and I both know things kind of . . . changed, and clearly, it's making things a bit awkward."

Peter's smile drops a little, replaced with a knowing look. "Yeah, okay, j--just a little," the hero pinches his index and thumb together for emphasis, then Peter exhales dramatically. "Well, uh, w--why don't we start over, yeah?"

Eszter cocks a brow. "Start over?"

"Yeah! Okay, I'll start," Peter clears his throat, his eyes squinting when his lips stretched into an amused grin. "I'm Peter. I've liked you since freshman year after you were transferred, and then we became best friends."

Giggling, Eszter notices Peter had his hand stretched out for her to shake, to which she does. "Hi, Peter. I'm Eszter, and I'm glad I got the opportunity to have you in my life."

"And now, we shall make a vow that from this day on: nothing will be weird or awkward between us," Peter declares.

"Right, and just be us," Eszter snakes her fingers to intertwines her fingers with Peter's, smiling down at their locked hands. The enhanced looks back into the boy's dreamy eyes. "Just you and me."