CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, sorry. C'mon, Stef. Let's dance." Carter quickly grabbed the younger Salvatore's arm and dragged him toward the ballroom. She ignored the shocked faces of all three of her friends, letting out a puff of air. "Why didn't you dance with Damon?" She turned to look at the younger brother. "I need to talk to you, okay." He placed his hand respectively against the small of her back, his other occupied by her hand. "Then, talk," he replied with a confused expression. The two began to step to the music. It reminded Carter of her childhood. She remembered how her father would put her feet on his own and waltz her across the kitchen while her mother cooked dinner. She sighed softly, her eyes fluttering closed. "We've got to get Elena in with Esther." Her words took Stefan in surprise. "Don't make that face. You know I'm right." He turned her, nodding his head slowly.

"You aren't wrong, I just didn't expect it to come from you," he explained. She smiled with an eye roll. "I just... I get Damon is protecting her for my sake, but he's taking it too far, you know?" Stefan nodded with a frown. "Yeah..." The two fell silent as they moved to the music, their eyes locked together. They were getting closer to Damon and Elena. "Talk to her about it," the strawberry blonde whispered. As they turned, Stefan swooped in and took Elena. Damon was about to reach for Carter when another body slipped between them. She glanced up in shock, spotting Kol's smirk and daring eyes. "Hello, love," he greeted her, turning her gracefully before pulling her close against him. She was quiet, out of breath.

"You look delicious." The undertone of his compliment gave the werewolf girl the chills, her eyes darting from his to Stefan and Elena's retreating figures. "Thank you," she replied meekly, her lips forming an uneasy smile. "My brother speaks of you often. He has big plans for you." She stared up at him, chuckling. "Yeah, there are no plans between him and me," she retorted. He pushed her out, twirling her once, twice before her chest collided with his. "He was right. You are a little spontaneous." He dipped her slowly, exposing her throat to the soft light. He breathed in her scent, his lips trailing against her skin. Damon was quick to step in, gripping the Original's shoulder tight and jerking him away from Carter's body. "Woah, there, mate. It was all innocent," the vampire chuckled, his eyes narrowed in challenging slits.

"Innocent my ass–" Carter shushed her lover, her fingers gripping his chin. "Ignore him. Let's dance," she hummed, attracting his attention. Kol glared at the strawberry blonde as she glanced over her shoulder to look at him. She and Damon moved to the center of the ballroom, his hands fitting perfectly against her. "I would have killed him," he voiced with a sigh. "If he did anything to you, I would have—" He stopped talking at the feeling of her lips pressing to his cheek. "I know you would have, babe. Let's not talk about it, okay? Let's enjoy this evening while we still can. Okay?" He sighed softly. "Yeah, you're–" Damon kept getting interrupted, this time being the chime of Carter's phone. He watched as she pulled the device from her bra, a grin plastered on his face. "I don't like purses," she stated with a small shrug.

"Elena wants us to meet her in the library." Damon pouted as she returned the phone back to its previous place. "Well, let's not make Joan of Arc wait." She slipped her arm around his with a roll of her eyes, allowing him to escort her to the library. Inside, Elena stood by the window. The pale blue glow of the moonlight illuminated her olive skin. Carter knew there was a plan, and when the two stepped in, her thoughts were answered. "What are we doing in here?" Damon questioned. In a flash, Stefan was behind him, breaking his neck. Carter flinched as Damon crumpled to the floor, Elena hurriedly rushing to her friend's side. "I'm sorry, Cee. It had to be done, okay?" The strawberry blonde nodded, running her fingers through her hair. "I know. I'm not mad."

"Well, better hurry up. He won't be down for long," Stefan spoke. Elena nodded slowly and was quick to leave the room. Carter looked down at her lover, lifeless on the floor. It won't be long, she thought with a sigh. I'm so sorry.