Chapter 2

Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Next Morning

Rolling onto her back as she woke up, Rashell took a deep breath. She was still angry with her brother. It made going to bed last night difficult, causing her to toss and turn. There was going to be no way that her brother would control her feelings for the opposite sex. She took another deep breath and slowly got up.

After taking care of her morning bathroom routine, she quietly made her way to her brother's kitchen, where she spotted Angie. She knew Angie would not say anything negative about Mike, because she was not like her brother, but even if she didn't voice it, she always sided with Joel.

Not voicing anything, she walked over to a deep oak cabinet door. She grabbed a coffee cup and reached for the coffee machine that was underneath it. Adjusting it to her liking, she turned it on. Silently, Rashell made her way over to one of the kitchen island stools to wait while the coffee was brewing and sat down next to Angie, who was eating some cereal.

As much as she loved her brother's backyard, she loved her brother's kitchen much more. It was built as if it came out of a kitchen remolded showroom. Her brother had designed it to have an open concept feeling even though it was mostly closed in. The entrance was wide opened, which looked out into the dining room. The cabinets were intense in oak color. They had glass panels to show off all the dishware, drinkware, serving bowls and platters inside the cupboards. All his appliances were stainless steel and top of the line GE products.

Located above, his island, was a pots and pans holder. It held all of Joel's and Angie's copper cookware. They both were into the copper kitchenware but have not entirely made everything copper since they were still only dating. However, they have been together for several years. She loved Angie and saw her as a sister already and thought her brother should marry Angie.

In the kitchen, a pantry glass door was to the right on the wall that would have allowed viewing access into the living room. The pantry was a walk-in closet and held every nonperishable food her brother and his girlfriend owned, along with Angie's cake decorating supplies, which she did on the side. By day, she was a pastry chef at a local upscale restaurant.

While waiting for the coffee to finish brewing, Rashell pulled out her phone and lazily scrolled through her Facebook newsfeed. Nothing was exciting from her friends, but it helped pass the time.

Distracted by her phone, she did not expect Angie to speak, but when she did it through Rashell off, "I heard you and Joel arguing last night."

Rashell looked up and focused her attention on Angie, "Sorry. I knew you were probably sleeping."

"Joel should not stop you from seeing who you want to see."

Angie's response surprised her. Usually, she would be on Joel's side of an argument. But not this time.

"Really? Even if he is of a different race and eleven years older than me?" Rashell questioned.

"Yes. You have never been in a relationship with anyone. The way I saw the two of you last night, it felt like you been seeing each other for a long time instead of just meeting." She paused, "Honestly, for as long as I have known you, I haven't seen you that happy with someone else who was not family or a friend."

Rashell did not know what to say to her. A simple thank you was all that came out. She got off her stool and gave Angie a quick hug.

The coffee had finished brewing, and she made her way over to the machine. She poured a cup for herself and left it on the counter to cool. Making her way over to the refrigerator, she pulled out contents to make scrambled eggs and set it down on the shelf. She grabbed a frying pan off Joel's pan rack and started cooking her breakfast as she slowly sipped on her coffee.