Save me

Preface

Anything can change in the power of one minute, you could delete an assessment, you could lose your grand final over a stupid goal, or if you're me you could lose everything that has ever mattered to you. I once lived a normal life; I had a normal house, an average family, and a best friend. But the one thing I miss the most was my little brother, the way he could make me laugh in any situation, and the way when he was scared he would cuddle up to me. But like I said, anything can change; my brother has now gone, like everything else.

I sit here thinking of the past, trying to remember every detail, but it's too late, the best I can remember is in my dreams, but then the truth that I can't take back snaps back on me, like an elastic band. The pain remains, never leaving, like the feel of his last breath in my arms, as his body slumped lifelessly away. Gone. It's all gone, like everything else.

But now I think back to myself, if I could take back that last minute, that one time I let him out of my site, it could have all been different, it might not have been him who this happened to, I might not be where I am right now, it could all be the way it used to be, everything back to normal, the way it was meant to be, but no. Anything can change in the power of one minute, and it looks like my life did, nothing the same as before, everything gone, and those dark, dark memories that haunt me. No one believed me, but I know the truth. Here's my story.

Chapter 1

The room was dark; my breathing grew shaky as I got closer and closer to what I hoped was his body, I couldn't stand to see anything else. My legs began to buckle under me, but I couldn't give up now, I had to know if he was ok.

There was a small light in the corner of the basement; I could just make out the shape of a body flickering in candle light. God I hope it was him. My legs moved quicker, my steps still as silent as before, but I had to hurry, someone could find me down here at any second but I had to know first, I had to know if it was him. "Kristen" the voice was a shock; it was in my head, so clear; my legs gave way under me, glad that they could rest. I felt warm tears crawl down my face, my vision blurred, and then I was gone.

"Kristen, Kristen, you have to get up. Why are you crying?" Max asked, shaking my shoulders.

"What are you talking about" my voice was muffled; my eyes were full of sleep. I felt the moisture on my checks.

"You're crying?" he repeated taking a step back, "Why?"

Sighing as I rolled onto my back I said "Weird dream," my voice was husky from sleep, I muffled a yawn into my hand.

"Whatever. Just make sure your ready in half an hour if you still want to see Cameron before school."

That got me up, "Why didn't you wake me up before?" I asked jumping out of bed; my body was stiff, my head went dizzy from the sudden movement. I stopped him before he could answer, "Just get out, and tell Mum I'll be down in a sec." I said as I pushed him out the room, slamming the door behind him. My eyes drifted over to my bedside table; a small silver box lay there, with a blue bow on top of the lid, god I hoped he would like it.

Getting changed quickly, teeth freshly brushed; I looked at myself in the mirror, my blond hair was pulled back into a quick pony tail, my new black streaks sticking out noticeably in my fringe. My school uniform still as dull as ever, navy blue pleaded skirt, white button down short sleeve shirt and my added black converse. Well I guess it could be worse.

"Kristen, if you want breakfast before you go, come down now" My mum called from down stairs. I quickly grabbed my bag, and the small box, shoving it into a side pocket in my bag as I left the room.

I rushed down the stairs to the smell of scrambled eggs and bacon, only to see Max finishing of his plate. "Where's mine?"

Mum turned around to see the frying pan empty, "Max" mum said frustrated, "Just grab something quick or you have to wait till school to see Cameron."