Unexpected Encounters

I climbed the stairs feeling the ache in my legs grow. Leaning heavily against the railing, I reached the top. Someone pushed against me but did not bother with an apology: Hurrying after her friends she almost ran across the concrete floor reaching the queue that had already formed behind the ticket counter.

I paused for a moment trying to rest a bit before I joined the crowd bustling in the busy platform. With a sigh, I sat on the dusty step.

I could feel a headache coming on, like a storm brewing at the back of my head.

I reached for the bag slung across my shoulder. Peeking into it, I quickly caught the glint of the sunlight on the silver foil of the medicine cover. With a small popping sound, the pill was freed and quickly transferred from my hand to my mouth. I quickly gulped down the last of the water in my bottle. For a moment I closed my eyes. Tiredness rolled off my shoulders and I felt the heavy weight spread through my body.

“Ouch!”

Cradling my fingers I looked up at the person who had stepped on them.

Peering back at me underneath a faded brown cap were captivating green eyes.

I straightened my back, my eyes watering. Flexing my hand, I felt the stiff bones move painfully.

He stooped low until his head was the same level as mine.

“Forgive me.”

A husky voice said.

I tore my eyes away from his as my face flushed at the proximity.

He stood up once more and nervously checked his watch.

I waved my hand and shrugged not trusting my voice to speak.

“May I?” To my surprise he pointed at the space next to me.

I looked up, incredulous. Could he possibly mean what I think he meant?

Sure enough, without waiting for a reply, he sat next to me but leaving enough space between us.

“Are you alright?”

“It’s fine.” I told him. I managed a small smile. “I’m partly at blame for sitting here, you need not be sorry.”

A dimple flashed as his lips formed a smile in return. “That is very kind of you.”

He looked around us before speaking again. “Interesting choice of place to sleep, don’t you think?”

My cheeks grew warm as I realized how it must seem to others seeing me with closed eyes on a busy stairway. “I was not. I mean…”

 "But I see the charm now." he continued, seemingly not noticing my embarassment. "Ah! Why rush when you can stop for a moment and enjoy everything around you?" He closed his eyes too but failed to conceal the smile spreading on his face.

I relaxed against the railing once more. 

Neither of us spoke: I watched the people rush past us, few sparing curious glances at us.

My eyes caught someone watching me and I was surprised to see a little kid peeking at us behind a pillar across from us. His dishevelled hair fell upon bright beautiful grey eyes. Just as my eyes rested on him, he hid behind the greying pillar once more yet a tuft of hair peeked out.

I let my gaze wander again, a small smile playing on my lips thinking of my secret audience. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the little body dash across. To my surprise he sat next to a lady sitting beside a wall.

I noticed the worn sign she handed to the boy as her hands carressed his hair lovingly, His eyes shyly looked into mine once more and quickly averted my gaze when I smiled.

"I see you're feeling better now." I jumped at the words. I had forgotten about the man seated next to me.

The little stop had done me good. I thought of the long travel still ahead of me with a cringe but I knew I needed to battle my way across the crowded platform one last time to catch the train home.

With a hurried goodbye, I stood up to leave my temporary rest stop. He smiled at me, the dimple appearing once more.

Instead of making my way towards the ticket counter, I found my feet directing me to the small child and the lady whom I assumed to be his mother. The words on the sign became clear: "Help Needed!"

The little boy whispered something to his mother as her eyes found mine.

I hesitated for a while but then walked over to her.

"Hello!" Greeting the mother first, I turned to the boy. "Hi there!"

He stared up at me. His mouth forming a perfect 'O'

The mother smiled back at me.

"Would you like to join me for a cup of tea?" I pointed towards the small restaurant at the end. "I need a rest for a while before I head home and would appreciate your company."

"Oh!" The lady said. Her face was impassive yet I could tell she was confused at my offer. Her grey eyes, the same as her son's, searched mine before she stood up. "Thank you!" She finally replied.

For a while there I was worried that she might decline.

"Great!" I couldnt help the smile. "And you young man?"

He nodded and then stood up linking his hand with his mum's.

Picking up a small basket, she followed  me to the cafe'.

"I am Mary!" i introduced myself.

"Jill." She replied. I noticed that her nervousness was gone. I was taken aback at her strong and almost childlike voice. "My son, Ben."

"Hello!" he said smiling up at me.

We entered the small cafe' which was quite empty despite the rush hour.

I ordered a cup of hot tea and found Ben eyeing the Burger Meal advertised. 

Jill fiddled with the basket. "I'll get a tea too." She said. 

"Ben?" he glanced at his mom.

"Would you like the burger, Ben?" I asked. he nodded eargerly. I smiled at the happiness evident on his face and ordered some pastries for us as well. While I made the payment, I asked Ben to choose a table for us and saw him skip merrily to the furthest one overlooking the street outside,

"Thank you" Jill said softly. Her eyes met mine, sincerity shining through them.

"My pleasure." 

Jill and I carried the trays to the table. Ben was already lost in the view the windows displayed. I looked over and found what had captured the interest of my little friend. There was traffic jam outside with taxi's and cars alike honking loudly and padestrians crossing the street inbetween them. The last rays of the sun fell upon the street. Despite the chaotic scene, the sky with it's golden hues cast a magificient picture.

"Your drinks, ma'am." Strangely familliar voice greeted me out of my reverie. I looked upto into the green eyes once again.  His smile grew. "We meet again!" He nodded at my companions and smiled at little Ben.

"How you doing Ben?!" he addressed the child. I looked back and forth between them in surprise as the shy boy suddenly spoke confidently to the waiter who had also been my companion on the stairway. They seem to know each other well. I guess I should not have been as surprised as I felt.

"Sam!  I am good. I am having the burger meal!"

"Don't forget the cookie now!" Sam, the waiter, placed a paper bag on our table. 

"How are you Jill?" He politely asked the mum. Even in my confusion I did not miss the sparkle in her eyes as replied him. 

"Nice to meet you all here. Enjoy your meal!" He smiled at me one last time before walking away.