Conflict, hope, relationships

The loud horn of the steam train startled me as I snapped out of my thoughts. I bit my lip to keep it from whimpering. I had to be strong now no matter what I felt. Gazing around My heart called out for the other girls and families saying goodbye to their men. I knew exactly how they felt, I was going through the same emotions as them. Stepping onto the platform with Clyde, his grip tight around my hand, I felt my stomach drop. He turned to me dropping his duffle bag on the floor next to us.

“I don’t want you to go.” 

It was the truth, I couldn’t give him up, didn’t want him to go. Not when he was going off to a third world country to fight in a war. It was to dangerous, he could die and I would rather be selfish and keep him here with me than let him to the honourable thing and fight for our country.

“I know darlin’, I know” he whispered as he pressed his forehead against mine, His nose nuzzling against mine. His own secret way of showing me affection. Unshed tears burned my eyes as I held his loving gaze.

“I’m coming back.” He murmured softly before kissing my forehead.

Pulling me into his arms he held me against him. His chin resting against my head as face was pressed into his chest. I broke down at that moment, tears flowing down my eyes, no doubt making a mess of my makeup and staining Clyde’s uniform but I didn’t care.

The train whistle went off again, the over head speakers announcing the last call for any men who hadn’t already boarded the train.

“I love you” my voice shook as I spoke and I tried to hold it together as much as I could. I didn’t want to break down in front of Clyde, I wanted to show him how strong I was. That I  could accept his decision even though I thought differently about it.

“I love you too” he said before pulling me in, his lips capturing mine in an all consuming kiss.

That kiss gave me hope. I should me how much he loved me and how strongly he believed he would be coming back to me. It was everything I would hold onto to remember him while he was gone. Clyde pulled away, his lips brushing against my forehead before he picked up his duffle bag and got ready to board the train.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another school assignment