“Are you new here?” he asked.

“No, I just moved back here,” I explained. Then, I added, “But it feels like it.”

He frowned. “Oh, well I’m sorry to hear that. You must be the person that moved into the house behind me on the right side,” he said.

I thought about it.

“I’m sorry that sounds really confusing,” he said, laughing.

I laughed along, too, and it felt good. “Yeah it does sound confusing but you’re lucky I know what you’re talking about,” I said with a smile.

“Smart girl,” he said, smiling at me before kicking a small pebble. I watched as it landed a few inches away from us.

“Evelyn,” I said, looking at him.

“What?” he asked, looking up at me.

I stopped walking and turned so I was fully facing me. He followed suit and I stuck my hand out.

“I’m Evelyn but you can call me Evie,” I said.

He reached out and gripped my hand, shaking it. “I’m Alexander but you can call me Alex,” he said, smiling as we began walking again.

“Nickname, too, huh?” I asked him.

We both began laughing again as we walked further into the city area. We began talking about our favorite music, colors, places, our family, and much more. After, we talked about school which I learned that I would be in the same grade as Alex when I went back to school here in Miami. Hopefully, I would have a few classes with him.

And suddenly, it felt good to be back in Miami. Because now, I suddenly felt wanted.

[][][]

“It was nice meeting you, Evie,” Alex said, smiling at me. I learned that Alex tends to do that a lot. Smiling. But I didn’t mind. After all those glares and looks I was getting from Shane and that girl at Bernie’s, I needed someone to smile at me.

“It was nice meeting you, Alex,” I said, pretending to do a courtesy.

He chuckled, making me join in as well.

I looked at him and frowned. “Do you want to go in the pool?” I asked. “I’m just not really ready to go home, I guess.”

“Well, we could go in my pool or your pool but either way, one of us will have to get their bathing suits,” he said.

I shrugged. “We can go in mine,” I said.

“I thought you didn’t want to go home,” he teased.

“Yeah, alone,” I said.

That was true. But I also didn’t want to deal with Shane or my parents asking me questions. Plus, I was going to show Shane that I could have fun without him.

[][][]

Ten minutes later, Alex was wearing plaid blue swim trunks and was shirtless, revealing his well sculpted six pack.

His brown hair was spiked up a bit but not that much.

I myself was wearing a white bandeau swimsuit. I remember when Laura, my friend back in California, had made me buy it even though I already have like literally thirty different pairs of bathing suits.

She just shook her head and told me that if I even really wanted a guy and didn’t know what to wear, this would definitely lure him in. I had just shook my head at her but now I couldn’t help but be thankful for that advice.