1: Nice to Be Back

》TWO MONTHS AFTER FAKE IT》

I got up from my motel room bed and slipped on a tank top and jeans with a flannel. I did the other mindless daily things like brushing my teeth and hair. Life had never been so boring, yet so peaceful. I was just finished with putting on my sneakers when there was a knock at the door. I walked over to the door and opened it, expecting it to be my cousin, Anna. What I saw made my jaw drop. It was Tom, with Harrison standing guiltily behind him.

"Hey," Tom said. I rolled my eyes and attempted to close the door, but Tom held it open.

I huffed, "Harrison, what part of 'don't tell Tom' don't you understand?"

"He didn't tell me. He just drove me," Tom said.

"Fine. Then next time I'll be more specific. Leave," I said.

"Luna, can we talk about this?" Tom asked.

"No, Tom. I told you that I needed time to figure things out and I meant it," I said.

"Please come back home. We need you," Tom said.

"No you don't. You want me to come back so that you won't be alone. I told you I needed space. Why can't you respect that?" I asked.

"I know what you--"

I cut Tom off, "No, you know what I said, but you clearly don't know what I meant. I broke up with you so that you could find someone who was able to give you what you needed when I couldn't. That's it. Now leave."

"Luna, it's about Alyssa. She's not doing very well," Harrison said.

"What?" I asked.

"She won't leave the house. We've been trying to get her out for two months, but she's getting worse. She stopped eating two days ago," Tom said.

"Oh god," I sighed. "I'll pack my stuff. Wait for me outside."

They left and I pulled out my phone as I started packing. I dialed Elijah's number.

"Hey Luna," Elijah said.

"Hey. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going back to LA for a little while," I said.

"Oh. Why? You just got here two months ago," Elijah said.

"I know, but something came up and I have to take care of it," I said.

"Like what?" Elijah asked.

"Eli, there's a lot you don't know about me. There was a reason I came here, but now there's a bigger reason for me to go back. I'm sorry," I said.

"It's no problem. Take care of what you need to take care of. I'll see you when you get back," Elijah said.

"Alright. See ya later," I said. I hung up and finished packing.

I left the room and went to the lobby to check out. Once I had, I went outside to where Harrison and Tom were waiting by the car.

"You ready?" Tom asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I said.

The boys got into the front seat and I got in the back, crossing my arms and looking out the window as Harrison started to drive away. The car was dead silent.

"This is awkward," Harrison commented.

I sighed, "Why did I agree to getting the car with two idiots again?"

"Because you love us," Tom said.

"I wouldn't go that far," I said sarcastically.

"It's nice to have you back, Luna," Tom said.

I smiled, "It's nice to be back."

》》》

When we finally arrived at my house, we had been driving almost nonstop for what felt like forever. We only stopped for gas, snacks, and to switch drivers.

I got out of the car, forgetting my exhaustion as well as my bags. I marched up to the door and threw it open.

"ALYSSA GRACE HAMILTON GET YOUR ASS OUT OF BED BEFORE I DRAG YOU OUT!" I shouted, barging into Alyssa's bedroom.

Alyssa sat straight up in her bed and I took a good look at her. She was pale and unhealthily skinny. Her hair was greasy and knotted, and she was wearing a baggy t-shirt and shorts. She looked tired, like she hadn't slept properly in a few days.

"Luna? What are you doing here?" Alyssa asked.

"I came back to see you," I said.

"Why?" Alyssa asked.

"The boys told me you weren't leaving the house and that you weren't eating," I said, sitting down on the bed.

Alyssa stayed silent and looked down at the blankets covering her legs.

"Alyssa, do you want to talk about it?" I asked.

Alyssa looked up, a hint of anger bubbling in her eyes, "You mean like you talked about it when it happened? Oh, wait, you didn't. You ran off to God knows where and left me here, alone."

I sighed, "I know that I'm a shitty friend for leaving you here and we can deal with that later, but for now I want to talk about you. Please let me make it up to you."

"Why should I? You left me alone when I needed you most, Luna. I needed you and you weren't there. Hell, I don't even know where you were," Alyssa said angrily.

"I was in Phoenix. I figured I'd stay with my cousins while I figured things out. I ended up staying in a motel," I explained.

"So your friend dies and you just run off to Phoenix to escape all your problems?"

"I'm sorry, Alyssa. I didn't know how to deal with what I was feeling and I made a stupid decision. It was wrong, but I didn't know what to do. I'm sorry," I said.

"Whatever. What do you want?" Alyssa asked.

"I just want you to do something today. Go take a shower. I'm going to order pizza," I said.

"Why?" Alyssa asked.

"Because being like this isn't healthy. You need to do something other than lay there," I said.

"Fine, but only because it means I won't have to be lectured any more," Alyssa said. She got up, grabbed some clothes, and went to go take a shower.

I walked out to the living room where Tom and Harrison were standing.

"So?" Harrison said.

"She's mad at me, which was expected, but I got her to get up and take a shower," I said.

"That's good, but shouldn't we get her some help or something? She isn't acting like herself," Tom said.

"I'm aware. The best thing for her right now is probably to let her open up on her own time. We just need to be there to motivate her and eventually she'll cave and tell us everything," I said.

I ordered a pizza and got a movie started on the TV. I set up a ton of blankets and pillows on the couch while Tom made popcorn and Harrison raided the pantry for my secret candy stash.

When Alyssa finally came out she was wearing leggings and a new shirt and her hair was clean and brushed. She already looked better.

"I got your favorite pizza and your favorite movie. You don't have to talk. Just relax," I said.

We all gathered on the couch and watched the movie together. About halfway through the movie, Tom's arm ended up around my shoulders and my head rested on his shoulder. It felt natural, just like before. It felt nice to be back with ny friends.

(A/N): so uhhhhhh yeah. This is Love It. Who do you think Elijah is? What do you think will happen with Alyssa? Will everyone be happy? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows?