Chapter 1

"Thanks for coming back for me." My lungs shudder with huge breaths, and the adrenaline starts to fade from my system. "I didn't know if anybody was going to."

"No man left behind, that's my motto." Rueben oinks, rubbing up against me as Lukas and I slow in front of the door out, finally getting out of this blasted room.

Lukas smiles, face flushed and a wee bit breathless too. "Guess I owe you one."

The iron golem grunts, the groaning metal getting us to rush out the door in no time. Lukas hurriedly shuts it behind us, both of us heaving a sigh of relief to be out of that place. I swear, if I see an iron golem again before I die it'll be too soon.

"So... where are the others?"

I open my mouth, first taking a big deep breath in before-

"Dude, I dunno how I can be any clearer." Axel's exasperation drips in the air, and we head that way. "Weird guy! Doing weird stuff! Freaky with a side of strange! Why won't you listen to me?"

I grumble a bit as we go over to join the group, Axel probably wasn't the best person to tell Gabriel. "What do you want me to do? Tell you charades style?"

"I promise you, that's the last thing I want you to do."

"Four words, six syllables, sounds like 'schmonster in the schmasement'." Gabriel pinches the bridge of his nose, and while Axel certainly has an ability to make people do that, Gabriel really needs to listen.

"Next."

"Wait, just-"

"I have a question for you." Chills go down my spine... I know that voice.

"Excuse me sir, you'll have to wait your turn." We all glance around at each other, blood draining from each of our faces.

"Just tell me first, do you really believe anyone can be great?"

My heart thumps loudly in my chest, dread pooling in my stomach. The image of that wither sitting in the basement flashing through my mind. Ivor's getting closer... Gabriel has stop him before he does something. He must.

"With enough hard work, yes." I breathe out a light sigh of relief, Gabriel seems suspicious of Ivor. Surely a warrior such as him will be able to stop that slimeball, I don't need worry about anything anymore. It's all good, all good.

Ivor, even more furious than when he caught us in the basement, pushes through the crowd, getting closer and closer. "Was that where I went wrong? I simply didn't WORK hard enough!"

"I-Ivor?" Horror, a rock of pure horror, slams into my stomach. Did the great warrior just stutter? "Is that really you?" The brief moment of surprise dies, Gabriel scowling at him. "How dare you interrupt like this!"

Okay... Gabriel isn't really stopping him, maybe he needs a push? "That's the guy who attacked us in the basement!"

"I wish I could say I am surprised." Gabriel, to my astonishment, simply crosses his arms and glares at Ivor. I basically just told him he's a criminal! What's stopping him from kicking this guy out?

"If it's surprises you want, you're in for a treat." Ivor finally pushes out of the crowd, stomping towards the stairs. "Why don't you tell them the REAL story Gabriel!"

With a level glare, instead of kicking him out, Gabriel's fists curl. "I see time has made you bitter."

Ivor holds the glare, stomping up the stairs. "And it's made you an even bigger fool."

Gabriel flinches, flinches, and my heart drops when Gabriel actually, sincerely, seems nervous. The mighty warrior avoiding Ivor's gaze, rubbing his arm. Am I missing something here?