(Virgil X Child!Reader) New Home.

Start from the beginning

I looked up, checking to see where the sun was. The bag ball of light was setting, the moon was rising and it was full and beautiful. For a couple of minutes, my eyes were focused on the bright dot covering the nearly black sky. I tried, but I can't see any stars with this light pollution. Trees with only a few amount of leaves rattled in the distance. A scary sound, if it were a branch scratching against the door or a window. 

Silence. Silence.

A short yet scrutinizingly long kind of sound that I didn't like. I want someone to be with me, beside me. I have one wish right now, just one wish... Please, God, just this one wish?

"I want to go home!" I pleaded, thrashing around. Strands of my hair were caught wet with my soaking eyes. Tears stained my red cheeks. "MOM!"

My eyes were now glowing with burning tears. I tried to wipe them away but they all got replaced with newer, fresh liquid from my eyes. People told me that crying was a good thing to do, to help release pain, but that is not the case now. Now hurts so much. Now is now, while I'm still crying and all I wish for is a normal family like everyone else in the world. It's just me that has to go through this, I'm sure. Right..? No. Even the thought that more people, kids, just like me get abandoned at younger or older ages by their parents makes me want to scowl and scream at them. But I was taught that I, only myself, could not speak my mind and that was a set rule. I should sleep here for the night, it's getting darker by the minute, and fast. But my stomach had other ideas; it growled in protest to my decision of camping in the field tonight. There are houses nearby, so finding food shouldn't be a problem, right?

I stood up and stretched, only now realising the sudden throbbing in my right shoulder. I turned my head to check and saw purple and blue bruises covering my right arm all the way to my shoulder blade. Curiously, I pressed my pointer finger on one of the bruises close to my wrist and my skin flashed white pale at me when I recoiled my finger. But once the lighter colour faded, the purple bruise only came back. Technically, this looks worse on the outside than it actually feels, I'm not saying that the whole entire right side of my body doesn't hurt, but no bones are broken. Therefore, I am okay. Or at least, as okay as I can be right now. I'm still torn if I should stay here and sleep, because maybe Mom will come back! Well, no. . . That would be nearly selfish of me to ask her that, since she hates me and doesn't want me. I'm a mistake and a burden in her life.

Shutting my eyes tightly, I kicked the box and made a run for it. I ran, not knowing where I would end up. But it is better than staying in this stupid open space, when you're starving and crave attention and warmth.

Warmth.

I'm freezing. Running seems like a better idea now.

So I ran, faster than I thought I could. But that only lasted a short while until I started walking again, the pebbles, as said, sinking into my feet while I ran. Stupid worn out shoes... Thankfully, running made time go by faster and I got warmer by the minute, but not enough to satisfy. I can't tell how long it took but I'm guessing awhile... I choked my head to the side, trying to read sign but it'd take me a long time to remember how to read. That's one thing Mother taught me well; reading skills.

"Gainesville." I sounded out the letters, probably still messing them up. How did I get this far so quickly? I can't run that fast.

By now, I was surrounded by houses and street lights so I could see where I was going. No need to squint anymore, great for actually seeing. At the flip of a dime, I was here, but I still had main priorities than just staying on the street if I wanted to survive properly. An idea would be to knock on someone's door but I have no idea which house to check in on and which owner is friendly... I don't want to be abandoned again... At those thoughts, my knees began to shake and the world around me was divided. I was wobbling woodenly, tears streaking down my face. When will this part of the nightmare end? When will I wake up? I hope it's a nightmare.