Chapter 28: Leaving soon

Start from the beginning

I hugged him back and stood back and looked at him. " I thought you left for Detroit." I added.

He sighed and blinked a couple of times before telling me what he had to say.

" That's what I came over here to talk to you about." He said.

I gave him a blank stare before stepping to the side so that he could enter.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my dad but I absolutely did not want to deal with his drug dealing ways. I already had enough of that growing up.

I didn't want to leave...I wanted to stay.

We both walked over to the couch and sat down. You could tell he was hesitant about what he was gonna say. So I just sat there patiently until he could find the right words to say.

" Shayla, I know this is gonna be hard to say but..." He paused.

" Just say it." I asserted.

I was already irritated and not in the mood.

" I want you to come back to the D with me." He told me.

The D was another name for Detroit. All of the old Og's normally said it though.

I looked down at the floor and it was at that moment all the bad that I suffered in Detroit came into my head. I didn't want to go back.

It was such a bad place, with bad people and bad things.

Yeah, my mom was there but there's no telling if she'd get back on drugs AGAIN.

And there's no telling if my dad would wind back up in jail AGAIN.

I don't know what it was but I just felt safe here. With Auntie Keisha and my bestfriend Vanessa.

That's who all I needed at the moment.

Right ?

" Dad... I-I can't go." I told him.

" I just can't, it's too much... Just too much." I repeated.

I really didn't want to cry in front of my dad right now because he hated when I did that.

" I understand." He sighed as he placed his hand above my back. He rubbed my back as he tried to comfort me.

"If you're not ready, I get it. No rush. I'll be here though whenever you need me. Remember that. If you need anything, call me." He told me.

I nodded his way and reached in for a hug. "Love you daddy."

" Love you too Shayla, love you too." He repeated.

He stood up from his spot on the couch and slowly made his way towards the door.

" Bye dad, be safe." I told him.

" It's not bye, it's see you later... and you know I will. Love you again." He added before leaving out the door.

I didn't know  whether or not that'll be my last time seeing him, because the streets in Detroit were bad.

You had to move with caution... Move with sense....

And most importantly...

Move by the muscle

-

Vote

Comment

Share

Most successful Ken book 🥶😂❤️

Shayla and her dad for Christmas ❤️

Keisha ❤️