Untitled Part 16

Chapter 16

"Somehow I doubt it is Nagini's fault," Tom said, turning to Harry and looking pointedly at his living Horcrux.

"...You're going to blame me, aren't you?"

Straight-faced, Tom replied, "It's somehow always your fault."

Harry's only response was to cross his arms across his chest and sigh as he rolled his eyes to the side with a defeated expression.

:Master, you should know that Blondie and Lady have come to suspect your condition of recent,: Nagini supplied, breaking the silence.

"She calls that crazy witch 'Lady'...?" Harry muttered with aversion under his breath.

Tom ignored Harry and considered Nagini with a contemplative air. :And how did they come to that conclusion?:

Nagini twitched the tip of her tail and flexed her muscles, the movement visible under her scales. :I could not understand everything, but Lady was talking about Harry Potter's snake, Potion Man, and something about the Rat's mind.:

Harry made a glowering face at the mention of Wormtail, but kept most of his opinions on the man to himself for the moment. "Snape said he Obliviated Wormtail after he tried to kill you and you disappeared. Could Bellatrix counter that?"

Tom took a few pacing steps. "With ease, but not sophistication. I doubt Wormtail will be bothering any of us for the indefinite future, unless the rodent dies in the wall and starts decaying," Tom added flippantly.

Harry looked down with an indifferent expression. He could pretend he felt sorry for the man...but he didn't.

When Harry lifted his head back up, Tom was looking at him introspectively. "Come," he said, "the House Elves will have breakfast ready."

"What about our 'guests'?"

Tom waved his hand dismissively. "I can assure you, they are not going anywhere."

Tom left the room so Harry could freshen up for the day. After he had finished dressing and was ready to head to breakfast, he paused and turned to Nagini, who was content to remain on the bed.

:Hey, did you ever give me a nickname, like you did for the Death Eaters?:

Nagini lifted her head, her black eyes shining in snake-like amusement.

:Yes...Dinner.:

Harry scowled and stomped from the room.

Following breakfast—at which Harry forced Tom to finally eat some of the cake he had made, much to Tom's chagrin and protest that it wasn't the right time of day—Tom and Harry went to Tom's office to analyze certain points of interest that needed to be addressed. Harry sat down in a free chair and yawned. Tom snapped his fingers, and one of the twin House Elves popped in before Tom sent him away again to bring them both some more tea.

"I feel like I haven't slept in days," Harry grumbled, despite the fact he had only been up for an hour.

Tom was idly swishing his yew wand through the air, generating a glittering display of harmless, multi-colored sparks. He eventually sighed and slipped his wand away, picking up his teacup and taking a generous sip.

"Your core is working on building up what you lost. It takes effort and energy."

Hunched over his steaming, caffeinated beverage, Harry blew on it before taking a large gulp.

"Aren't you tired?"

Tom, Harry noticed, didn't even have the decency to look apologetic as he answered, "The boost of the magic I took from you was sufficient to give me a faster recovery time. I would say my core is only depleted to the point of a day's worth of difficult spell casting. I am used to such drainage, but I suspect you are not, still being underage. I didn't take enough of your magic to kill you but enough to wear you out."