14. Epilogue

"I think we dream so we don't have to be apart for so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time." – A. A. Milne

Karlie was five years old when she dreamed of Taylor for the first time.

Tracy Kloss would always remember the stark difference between her first and second daughters when they were younger. Kristine always had her head in the clouds, even from an early age, an imagination beyond her years.

Karlie on the other hand, was inquisitive from day one, her sparkling green eyes taking in the world around her with wonder. She was the kind of kid who could never be left alone for too long, always wandering wherever her curiosity took her.

That curiosity was to be greatly tested when she began dreaming of the beautiful princess with gorgeous blue eyes.

Tracy knew that her daughter was a little on the clumsy side when it came to coordination. Based purely on her track record with arts and crafts, letting Karlie help her paint the twins' new bedroom was destined to end in a mess.

But one hopeful look from Karlie's adorable face and she caved immediately. True to form, her daughter lasted about ten minutes before accidentally knocking over a can of paint.

The instant Karlie looked down at the large drop of bright blue paint sitting in her palm, the room seemed to vanish, a flash of clear blue eyes flooding her thoughts, a warm buzz running from the crown of her head to the tips of her toes. Karlie had stilled, deaf to anything except the sudden pang of loneliness that ran through her heart.

That night, Karlie dreamed of a silent, lonely world. She dreamed of dark caverns, a life of longing, the life of the Lord of the Dead.

But that dream was also one of happiness. In her dream, Karlie walked through a field of golden flowers, each made by the girl who loved her with all her heart.

It spoke of an eternity of love and devotion that beat between the pair like a pulse, despite the distance separating them. And when Karlie woke up the next day, she was filled with a newfound sense of emptiness so deep that she began to cry.

Kristine found her little sister that morning sitting cross-legged on the floor of her bedroom. In her hands, she had retrieved the bucket of paint that started the whole affair, and was dipping her small fingers into the pigment expectantly, as if she was waiting for something to happen.

Kristine had watched as Karlie sadly dropped her hands into her lap, sniffling quietly. With kind hands, she took the paint from Karlie's grasp.

"This isn't fingerpaint silly," she had said. "This is for walls. Why don't we paint your bedroom?"

Tracy found her two elder daughters that morning with bits of paint stuck in their hair, half of Karlie's room haphazardly splattered with a soft blue. She had simply sighed, rolled up her sleeves, and began helping her girls on their renovation project.

--------------------------------------------

Try as she might, Karlie just couldn't forget about that dream. Every night, she would lie awake, staring at the blue walls of her room, hoping she would see that girl again. But that wasn't to happen until she was six.

Kristine quickly embraced her position as oldest sister as the twins grew, maturing with her new responsibility. Luckily for her, Kimby was every bit as imaginative as she was, with boundless energy to boot. Kariann however, was almost the polar opposite of her sister, content to sit quietly and watch her twin run around. Her observant nature matched Karlie's own curiosity very well.