She smiles and comes over to shake my hand.

Bethany: It's nice to meet you.

Me: Nice to meet you too.

Bethany: I don't want to sound rude but what are you guys doing on this side of town on Christmas day?

Me: I am so grateful and thankful for Darius saving my life at the mall last week. I just wanted to show you all how thankful I am that he was there and that he risked his life to save mine. He didn't know what that man had on him and yet he still ran over to help.

My dad, Arman, Jaylen, Jakhary, and Amir came around me with these big bags full of stuff for each of their kids.

Each one had their names on it. Sophia, who is 13. Kaliyah, who is 10. Jourdan, who is 9. Tyler, who is 6. And Jeremiah, who is 5.

Bethany: Are....are these for our kids?

Me: They are. Everyone has a bag with their name on it.

Darius: Oh my god.

Bethany: Kids! Come downstairs!

They all came running down the stairs to their living room.

Girl: Mama what's going on?

Darius introduced them all to us and then they started opening up their things.

I smiled as I watched them open up everything and the looks on their faces was priceless.

Me: We didn't just bring stuff for the kids. We have something for you guys too.

They both turn to look at me.

I walk up to them and start talking to Bethany.

Me: Darius told me that you were working on your degree in psychology and that you are looking for an internship.

She nods.

Me: I want to give you a paid internship at my clinic and women's shelter.

Bethany begins to tear up.

Bethany: Thank you so much.

I hug her.

My dad walks up to them.

Dad: Darius, thank you so much for saving my daughter and unborn grandchildren.

Darius: Like I told Brianna, I did what I would want someone to do if my wife, sister, or daughter was in that situation.

Dad: Brianna told me that you had recently lost your job as a construction worker.

He nods.

Dad: I want to give you a job at my construction company. You would be starting out making $75,000 annually.

Darius: My god. Thank you so much.

He's in tears.

Me: We have a couple more things for you guys' family.

Bethany: You do?

We nod.

I reach into my purse and pull out a picture of a house and two pairs of house keys.

Darius: What is this?

Me: This is you guys' house.

Their mouths drop.

Me: It's fully furnished and ready for you all to move in whenever you're ready.

Bethany broke down crying.

I kneeled down next to her and hugged her.

She kept saying thank you over and over again.

She pulled herself together and then I got a text from Deja saying she was outside.

I heard her blow the horn.

Me: Why don't you guys come outside for a minute?

They look at each other and then they all walk outside with the kids.

Deja steps out of the car and holds up the keys

Sophia: Is this......

Me: It is. This is your family's new car.

They all run over to it looking at it. The kids all hop in and they're checking it out.

Darius: I don't know how much to thank you all.

They got themselves together and then we went back into talk.

Bethany: You are truly a blessing to us. We just got an eviction notice yesterday morning, telling us we had two weeks to find someplace else to live and we didn't know where we were going to go.

Me: Darius was a blessing to me. I don't know what would have happened, what that person would have done to me, if he hadn't helped.

The guys had all walked into the kitchen to talk and it's just me, my mom, my sisters, and Deja in here with Bethany.

Mom: Where do the kids go to school?

Bethany: They were going to the elementary school right up the street. But since we're moving out of the district now, we're going to start looking for them somewhere else to go.

Me: Well I'm putting my daughter and son in a new school that's right in the neighborhood where you'll  be moving and it's K-8.

Bethany: I think I'll look into signing them up there then.

When she turned around, I reached into my purse and pulled out a check that I had made out to her.

She looked back around and I handed it to her.

Once she opened up the envelope it was in, she was in tears again. It was a check for $250,000

Bethany: You have done so much for my family. You are amazing and you will be blessed in so many different ways.

She hugs me again and then we all get ready to leave.

I'm glad that I was able to help them in the way that I did.
__________________________________
Chapter 19 coming soon