"So the spell blocks him out too," this made Klaus feel relieved. Now he wouldn't have to worry about what Elijah would know that he didn't.

"I didn't say that," Caroline continued. His eyes snapped up. "He's right. I am more quick witted than either of you give me credit for."

"What are you saying?"

"That I'm a good actor. I could have told him. I was free to, but I didn't."

Klaus's stared at her, her eyes flicking around nervously, avoiding his gaze. "Why would you do that? I thought you trusted Elijah."

"I do, sort of. But you don't."

She did it for him, he realized. She kept his secrets and he hadn't even asked her to. Why? He didn't understand. What could she have to gain by doing this favor for him?

"Don't expect me to do anything in return. This was your decision," he said quickly.

Caroline groaned loudly. "I don't expect anything in return. God, Klaus. Hasn't anyone ever done anything for you just because—" she stopped speaking. He noticed her eyes change from anger to sadness and he quickly turned his head away. "No one has have they?"

Klaus swung his legs off of the bed and stood. He didn't need her pity. He took half a step before her hand wrapped around his arm to prevent him from going anywhere.

"You know love, you're only human now. If I were you I'd think twice about irking an original vampire."

"Stop it," Caroline said, dropping her hand from his arm. She knew what he was doing. He was trying to frighten her again. Because that was what he did. If any bit of his humanity started to reveal itself he would try to drown it or cover it up with hate and anger. "I didn't tell Elijah because I knew you wouldn't want me to. God you are such a—"

But she was cut off when Klaus spun around and crushed his lips to hers. She gasped, her human senses unable to detect his vampire movement. She didn't see it coming. Every thought flew from her mind as his lips connected with hers, urgently. She grasped his face, pulling him in closer, letting her tongue glide in between his lips.

Klaus leaned toward her and pushed her back against the bed, covering her body with his. She could feel the lust flooding through her as he ground his hips into hers, parting her legs and settling between her thighs. She broke away from his mouth and let him trail kisses down to her neck, his teeth scraping delightedly against her throat.

Suddenly he pulled back. "Caroline."

She opened her eyes to see his face turned before her. The purple veins glowed under his black eyes, his fangs sliding out under his lips. She shivered. Her pulse must have set him off, when he was kissing her neck.

"You're a 400 year old vampire, shouldn't you have a little more control," she teased lightly.

"Not around you."

Her nerves fired once again. Imagine the idea that she, Caroline Forbes, could make the all-powerful original lose control. She didn't know whether to be flattered or frightened.

Klaus pulled further away from her. "We can't do this."

"Why not," she pouted, completely forgetting that she had been the one denying him just the day before.

"I can't hurt you," he replied.

"That's never stopped you before," she quipped.

But Klaus didn't even crack a smile. "You're human now. So tender, so fragile. So fleeting."

He traced the line from her cheek to his jaw gently with his fingertip. The intensity of his stare was earth shattering. Her tongue darted out apprehensively and wet her lips.