Part Two

Chapter 10

Justice Morris enter the court to the clerk's call of all rise. He took his seat and watched as the players took theirs. The Jury who must be eager to begin deliberating, all sat poised to listen to the closing arguments. How affected had they been by Peter MacDuff's ordeal? he wondered. Peter MacDuff sat quietly his eyes facing down his forehead crinkled as he concentrated. Justice Morris had been impressed by the young man's composure. How must he feel, having lost his entire family? Anthony Walters was reading his notes, probably running through his closing arguments. The past weeks had been difficult and Justice Morris was certain that it cannot have gone as the young barrister had hoped. Phillip Masterson on the other hand positively oozed confidence. He was a media darling already, if he pulled of an acquittal here he would become one of the biggest stars in the legal profession. His thoughts turned inwards and what of himself? For the first time he had had trouble sleeping prior to his summing up. How should he direct the jury?

" Mr Walter's would you like to begin your closing arguments." Justice Morris got the proceedings underway.

"Thank you Your Honour." He turned and addressed the jury. "Ladies and gentleman Peter MacDuff has suffered a terrible loss, nobody questions that. To lose his family in the way he did, is a tragedy. However, that loss does not give him the right to take the law into his own hands and exact justice on the person he believes is responsible.

"In any case the prosecution looks at several things before deciding they have enough evidence. Motive; does the accused have a motive? Why is that important? Well most people need a reason to commit murder. It is unusual for a person just to kill without reason. So we look to establish motive. Peter MacDuff had a motive, some would say the best motive in the world. Joe MacBeth killed his wife and small children, as well as his best friend. It could also be argued that he was bitter and jealous that Macbeth had been left a share in the company. That share was worth about two hundred thousand pounds. People have killed for much less. Opportunity; did the accused have the opportunity? The time of death was put at around two am. Peter MacDuff had plenty of time to get to the restaurant after he left the police station. He was found at the scene of the crime. So yes he had opportunity. The murder weapon; the prosecution like to have this, it often provides useful forensic evidence. In this case the murder weapon was found at the scene of the crime Peter MacDuff had it in his hand. It was covered in Joe Macbeth's blood as well as his own. The crime scene is searched for evidence that the accused was there. Forensics found Joe Macbeth's blood on Peter MacDuff's clothing.

"These are the facts and the defence does not dispute them. Peter MacDuff claims to have been in a catatonic state when found with amnesia. Could he be faking it? Several experts have taken the stand and said it is possible that these conditions can be faked. Oh you have to be clever to do this, believe me Peter MacDuff is very clever, certainly clever enough to do this.

"Joe Macbeth was murdered, he was stabbed, died in the kitchen where he worked, while his killer, Peter MacDuff looked on. Yes, the same Peter MacDuff who's wife and beautiful daughters were killed, quite probably by Joe Macbeth. So while you may feel he was justified in his actions, you must ,you absolutely must put that a side and remember no man is above the law. You must find Peter MacDuff guilty.

Anthony Walters sat down he could do no more. The case had left him emotionally drained. He had done things during this trial which he had never done before. Some of which he really did not feel comfortable with, he sighed, the things you do to win a case he thought.

Justice Morris invited Philip Masterson to make his closing arguments.

Philip Masterson stood and straightened his robes.

"Ladies and gentleman Mr MacDuff stands before you an innocent man. Do you know why? Because that's the law, that's our system of justice. You are innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof belongs to the prosecution. The defence has to convince you of reasonable doubt. You cannot convict Peter MacDuff of this crime if you have a reasonable doubt. Well the prosecution has this sewn up doesn't it, open and shut case. Or is it? How can I deny that Peter MacDuff was at the scene of the murder with the murder weapon in his hand. The answer is I can't because its true he was at the scene with the weapon. The thing I can do is show you is that we can demonstrate reasonable doubt.