CHAPTER SIX - THE FIRST DAY AND A ROBBERY

Start from the beginning

Ron, Harry, and Hermione served themselves their breakfast and stuck in, eating with rigour, enjoying the taste of their food. Neville only took a piece of toast and some cereal while Hope was nibbling on a dry triangle of toast. "I will right back," Hope announced, her voice the same quiet, gentle tone the trio was growing used to. Hope walked to the end of the hall and started talking to Dumbledore, handing over a piece of parchment before turning back down the hall with a smile larger than life on her lips. On her way back down the hall, Hope walked past Professor McGonagall, handing out the Gryffindor timetables, and politely asked for the golden trios, her own and Neville's.

"We have all our lessons together, even free periods. This morning we have Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall." Hope told the table after studying their lesson plans, earning three very excited smiles. "I got yours for you as well; we have the same lessons." Hope passed Neville his timetable and softly smiled at him when she received a nervous look in response. "If you are finished, do you want to walk to class with me?" Hope questioned, glancing down and looking just as worried as Neville at the thought of being rejected.

"Thank you, I would love to walk to class with you," Neville answered, his voice timid and awkward as he stood up, grabbing his bag and walking off with Hope towards the Transfiguration classroom. "What were you talking to Professor Dumbledore about? Is everything okay?" Neville said, worried about his new friend.

"Oh, everything is fine. The Headmaster is my grandfather, and I was just asking him to send a letter to my father as we have not spoken in a while. It is a long story; I will tell you some other time." Hope smiled, thankful that Neville did not push and demand answers.

The pair arrived at the lesson almost ten minutes early, meaning they could choose any seat they wanted. They sat in the middle row, halfway down the classroom, knowing that they could avoid the teacher's questions, and pulled their equipment from their bags. Hermione walked in almost five minutes later and sat on the very front row, right in front of McGonagall's desk.

McGonagall walked into the classroom with an air of superiority and gracefulness surrounding her, causing the students to look at her in awe and admiration. "Where are Mister Potter and Mister Weasley?" The Professor questioned; after taking the register and noticing that neither of them was there, she glanced at Hope, but a small shake of the head told her everything she needed to know. McGonagall began teaching, not stopping the lesson simply because two students decided not to show up on time.

Ten minutes later, the class heard rushed, hurried footsteps echoing down the hall outside the classroom. Many of the students smirked, including Hermione, Dean Thomas, and Seamus Finnegan, knowing that the pair would be in deep trouble. McGonagall transfigured into a cat and jumped onto her desk, ready to scare the naughty schoolboys.

"Whew! We made it!" Ron announced as the pair opened the door and walked into the classroom, noticing that the Professor was not already teaching. They didn't realise that the other students were already writing down some information from the board. "Could you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?" After Ron spoke again, McGonagall leapt from the desk, transforming back into a human halfway through the air. "That was bloody brilliant."

"Thank you for that assessment, Mister Weasley," McGonagall responded, not an ounce of amusement in her voice as she stared down the two students. "Perhaps it would be more useful if I transfigured Mister Potter and yourself into a pocket watch. That way, one of you might be on time," the emerald witch deadpanned, her last sentence causing Hope to laugh, earning a glare from Ron causing her to sink further into her seat as Harry elbowed Ron in the stomach in retaliation.

"I'm sorry, Professor. We got lost." Harry timidly told the Professor, who had no care for excuses, merely motioning towards the empty row of chairs next to Hope. The boys slunk into their seats, embarrassment written across their faces.