CHAPTER SIX - THE FIRST DAY AND A ROBBERY

"Hermione, you need to get up," Hope spoke desperately to the sleeping form of Hermione Granger. For the last half-an-hour, she had been practically begging her to wake up, but Hermione was stubbornly sleeping, causing Hope to become more agitated as time stretched on. "GET OUT OF BED NOW," Hope shouted, her voice booming, resulting in Hermione waking with fright and jumping out of bed, a confused look spread across her features. "I am s-sorry, you j-just would not g-get out of b-b-bed." Hope's stutter increased tenfold, her muscles seizing and tensing as she waited to be punished for her outburst.

Hermione noticed Hope's nervousness and lowered her voice to be soothing, not wanting to lose her only friend at Hogwarts. "Thanks for waking me; I can be quite stubborn in the morning; you might have to shout every morning." Hermione laughed at her joke, receiving a hesitant and quiet chuckle from Hope. Hermione glanced at the clock, her eyes widening when she saw it, "Blimey, I only have an hour; there's no way I'm going to be ready on time." As she began to panic, Hope placed a pile in her hands, a towel and her school uniform neatly folded and ready for use. Hermione sent Hope a relieved, thankful smile before slipping into the bathroom to shower.

Hope set about neatening up the room, making the bunks army style with the corners folded and tucked under the mattress. Packing hers and Hermione's bags, Hope stressed not knowing which books they needed but slipping their potions, charms, and transfiguration books in, knowing that they could always come back to the dorms if they needed different books. She added a carefully sealed bottle of ink, a stack of parchment, and a few quills just in case. After making sure she was prepared for the day, Hope removed the loose plaits from her hair and combed through the thick locks with her fingers, taming her now wavy curls as she went.

Forty-five minutes later, Hermione emerged from the bathroom, furiously rubbing her hair with a towel, trying to dry and manage it. Hope brushed past her, cautious not to accidentally touch her, and went into the bathroom to brush her teeth. When she finished, Hermione was still trying to dry her hair, so Hope motioned to the seat in front of Hermione's desk, and the other girl clunked down, her lower lips moving to form a pout. Hope said a few words under her breath, and Hermione's hair was just as dry as before she showered. Grabbing a hair tie, Hope gathered Hermione's hair and pulled it up into a messy ponytail before pulling a few hairs loose at the front and declaring her ready. Hope handed her friend her school bag and began to leave the room before remembering the letter she had written the night before. Folding the letter into thirds with the drawing inside, Hope poured a small amount of the wax she had purchased and gently depressed it with the Black family crest stamp she had.

Hermione grabbed Hope's arm, ignoring the slight flinch that resulted, and began walking down the stairs to the common room, where Harry and Ron were sitting at one of the tables playing Wizard's chess and waiting for the girls. "Good morning, how are you?" Hope questioned, a genuine smile spreading across her face as she pressed a small kiss to Harry's cheek. Receiving a few murmurs in response and a determined look from Hermione, which told her that she would be explaining herself that evening before bed, Hope grasped Harry's hand and made her way out of the common room.

--

The four students walked down to the Great Hall, with Hermione and Ron rushing ahead out of hunger and Harry and Hope walking at a more controlled relaxed pace, looking around and exploring the school in the light of day. They entered the hall and sat down at the Gryffindor table. A few moments later, Hope noticed Neville walking in, looking lost and unsure. She waved over at him, gesturing for him to come and join them. "He does not have any friends, H, and he seems like a decent person, so I am going to become his friend." Hope explained when she saw the questioning looks, Harry was sending her way. "Hi Neville, did you sleep well?" Hope asked once Neville had walked over and sat down next to her. After this, the pair started easy conservation, knowing that they would quickly become good friends.