chapter 1

• Dédié à eyeless jack

The next day, I run down the stairs, waving goodbye to my mom as I slam the door. The entire way, I can feel Jack's eyes on me. Or, lacktherfore of. A small smile spreads across my lips as. the sky darkens and rumbles with thunder. My favorite kind of weather.

I sit down at one of the picinic tables at the Church park, watching parents scamper off with their kids to avoid the sudden onslaught of freezing rain. Me? I tilt my head up and open my mouth, catching raindrops on my tongue.

A blue tint covers my face as the rain is blocked from me. I open my eyes, smiling at EJ, perched on the tabletop behind me, an umbrella in his hand.

"Jack." I smile sweetly at him. His mask lifts, once more giving me the impression of a smile. He sits on the dry circle of wood, made by his umbrella and gives a small nod.

"Sapphire." I giggle and turn around so my feet are under the bench correctly. I smile up at him, and suddenly feel like I'm underwater, with the blue surrounding us and the heavy mist created by the heavy rain.

"So..." I begin awkwardly, and swallow slightly. I sigh shakily and look away, lending strength from the fact that I'm sitting next to a murderer, and not flipping my shit. "So, Jack," I begin again, "Can I ask.. why have you... followed me?" I ask nervously, playing with a leaf.

"Well... I guess... Well, just because." I sigh heavily, and glare up at him. Thanks to Christy, and her endless
mothering and grammar correction lectures, that particular statement has become one of my greatest pet peeved.

"Jack, 'because' is not an answer." I give him a withering look. He stiffles under my gaze, and swallows uncomfortably.

"Sorry. I mean, um, well... Well, do you remember when you were six? You were still living down in Virginia, and you were at the park with your mom. I remember your short curly blond hair as that old guy came and picked you up." I blink at him, shocked into silence by the realization of what he was admitting to. "Your mom didn't even notice. But I did. That's was way before I became... " he pauses, and motions to his mask, "I was only 15, but, hey, I knew how to fight. I followed him, intercepted him, and returned you to the sandbox before your mom was any the wiser." I stare at him.

"You... You saved me?" I ask squeekily.

"Um... yeah. After I became, um, blind," he shifts uncomfortably again, "I asked around. Found you again. You're always getting in trouble you know." I smile slightly and slowly stand up.

"I... I remember you now. I used to have dreams about you." I admit.

"Really?" He asks, surprised. I nod, and my stomach shakes as my cheeks heat up.

"Yeah." Then, before he can react, I lift the corner of his mask, lean forward, and share my first kiss with him. He freezes. I pull back, embarrassed.

"Uh, I'm sorry... I..." I look down.

"Don't be." He says, then jumps up, discards his umbrella, and pressed his lips against mine. I freeze, just like him, and then slowly unwind, kissing him hack. The rain pelts down around us, and all I. can think is, has there ever been a more perfect first -and second- kiss?

I think Not!