Chapter 14: Blood Shed in War

Start from the beginning

When I went back into the room, he was leaned over the side of his bed; struggling to grab something off of the floor. "Oh, you shouldn't do that." I warned with worry as I rushed over to him. I set the glass of water on the night stand beside him and helped him sit back up properly. "You could have fallen off of the bed." I said with causation. He gave a crooked smile of embarrassment as he apologized; saying, "I'm sorry, ma'am. I, eh, I dropped my book." I couldn't help but easily forgive the young man. "It's alright," I sighed, "I'll get it." I bent down and gently picked up the hard cover book; scanning over the clean texture and clear writing. "Moby Dick..." I read the title aloud as I stood back up. "Yes," he smiled, "You've read it, yes?" I smirked and nodded. "One of my favorites, actually," I admitted, "I've read it over a hundred times."

"Its my favorite book too," he beamed; taking it from my hands and looking at it as if it were a rare gift, "I used to read it to my little sister every night. And when we were done with the book she said to me, 'Read it again!'" I giggled at his imitation of his sister. "She's a fan too, then?" I asked rhetorically. He looked up at me with a smile, but it seemed to fade as he looked back down to the book. "She was a fan," he said with a sadness hidden in his voice, "She died five months ago... A bomb hit our house and she was crushed under the bricks of the house. I was out at war. I didn't know until the General told me." The goodness that filled the room suddenly turned into a sulk feeling and my heart was heavy for the young man. "I'm so sorry..." I empathized, "What about your parents? Don't you have other family?"

He shook his head and looked up at me. "I don't know where my parents are," he admitted, "We have checked everywhere and, still, nothing. The General says they might have been kidnapped or they were killed long ago, but I like to believe that they are somewhere safe; hiding maybe. I believe they are okay." I gently put a hand to his shoulder. "I believe that too." I smiled; to which he returned the favor. "You are a good person. Thank you for listening, nurse, eh?"

"Nurse Ann-Margret Olsson. But you can call me Ann..." I introduced; holding out my hand, "And you are?"

"Lieutenant Maurizio Carpielli," he said fully, "Nice to meet you, Ann." I blushed as he took my hand. "And nice to meet you too, Maurizio." It seemed as though for a moment, our handshake lingered as we pulled away. It was slow and our fingertips brushed one another's carefully; as if dreading the let go. The action only made my cheeks a darker rose color than before. "Well," I said; clearing my throat, "You better get some rest. You deserve it." I walked away with our sweet good nights said, and closed the door softly.

Wow...

I couldn't sleep at all that night. I kept thinking of Elvis. And whenever I would drift off to sleep, I would have dreams of being at Elvis's funeral. It was terrible and exhausting. I just couldn't get him out of my head. And it wasn't out of love, it was out of fear. I was afraid that maybe he wasn't as strong as he seemed to be; he wasn't as tough as he led on. I just felt like I needed to be able to see him okay and well to believe that he actually was. I rolled over to my side and let out a restless breath. Nothing I could do would ease my mind. Was he okay?

*Elvis's POV*

It seemed like forever on that battlefield as we fired our weapons and killed those so called villains. All of my fear was hidden by the emotionless thoughts that over took me. It was a moment of acting and not thinking; doing what you'd have to, to stay alive. I fired my gun as I walked through the middle of the battlefield; killing three men in the process. All of us soldiers had to make it to the other side of the battlefield so we could make it into what is called the safety zone. The safety zone is like an underground shield covered by a mettle roof with thick, open slits so you can stick your gun out and fire at the enemy. So far, I was half way there with Red and Jerry Lee fighting behind me.