Chapter 6: Smokes and Advice

*Elvis's POV*

I went back to my dorm after walking Ann back to hers. I was stuck in wishing that we could have strolled the base a little longer; but I wasn't bitter. Just getting her alone for five seconds meant the world to me. She was somethin' absolutely different. I couldn't get her outta my mind. Honestly, I didn't want to. Her smile, her hair, those eyes; I was going crazy inside. No other girl had ever made me feel like this. I didn't know how to explain what I really felt only because I've never felt it before.... My train of thought spun right off track when I heard the door open. I was laying in bed with my hands behind my head, in central bliss. "Red and the others wanted me to come check on you," Franks voice peeled through the silence, "Take a good nap?"

"I didn't take one." I admitted; a smile crept on my face and I looked at Frank, who was more than confused. He held up his hands in surrender with a raised eyebrow. "I don't wanna know what you do when your alone, E." he said pleadingly. I sat up with a chuckle. "I met a girl, Frankie." His hands fell back down to his sides, but his expression was still the same. "Again," he repeated, "I do not wanna know what the hell you do when your alone."

"No, Frank," I began, "It wasn't like that... I took her out for a walk after I left the diner." I couldn't help the smile that played in my face. Frank smirked along and sat across from me on Red's tightly made bed. "Like on a date?" he inquired. I shrugged a shoulder and blushed. "I wouldn't call it that, but... I would call it somethin' close enough for me." Frank could tell how hard I was falling. He was always good with knowin' stuff like that. It was like a sixth sense. "So you like her," Frank pointed out the obvious, "Why wasn't it a date, then?" My smile sort of faded. "She's playin' hard to get," I admitted, "I keep tryin' to get her to go out with me and nothin's workin'."

"Well," he muttered as he stuck the cigarette that was behind his ear, into his mouth. "You shouldn't go around looking like a puppy dog; followin' her around and then chasin' her down if she isn't around." He pulled out a pack of matches from his pocket and lit his cigarette. "That just makes her look like the one in control."

I shrugged, "What if I don't mind?" Frank blew out the match and sighed. "It isn't about that, Elvis. Its about making sure she wants you just as bad as you want her. Make her a little jealous."

"Why would I do that?" I asked; clueless. Frank snickered, "Because if she likes you, she'll get jealous." I took in his words and really thought about it. Frank stood up puffing his cigarette and told me he'd see me around at the party tonight.

Was he right? Should I make Ann jealous? Even if I should, I'm not even sure I could. I've got eyes for her as if she's the only girl alive. But then again.... if she wanted to play hard to get, I'd be able to play the same game.

*Hedy's POV*

"Are you sure you don't want to go?" I asked Ann for, what felt like, the thousandth time. "Yes," she huffed, "I'm sure. Now, go and have fun." I gave her a tight hug; Marilyn following my lead before we left Ann. Everyone on the base was going to be at this party. It was the last day before everyone set off to work and, surprisingly, we were going to spend it getting drunk. How responsible. Ann, of course, didn't want to go. She'd rather stay at home and listen to the radio and be - boring. The poor girl didn't know how to have any fun at all.

When we got to the bar, it was completely filled from front to back. Marilyn and I had to push ourselves to the bartender. It was absolutely mad! I ordered myself a shot of tequila and Marilyn ordered a bourbon. We giggled at the drunks who danced along to the live rockabilly music. By the way they danced I knew that they would definitely feel that in the morning. They were drunk and moving crazily. God, I do love the 50's.