Chapter 1 - My Kingdom

You always wonder about the butterfly affect. How one action can put everything in motion, what a curious thing, don't you think?

"What are you thinking about, Your Highness?" A husky voice from behind the you seemingly  trying to wake you from the daydreaming thought. Instinctively turning around, you were confronted with the older servant, Gavin. He seemed so tired, especially recently. With his very pale, square shaped face, very hung down and wrinkled. He didn't seem to mind that he had a very prominent uni-brow, and black circles under his eyes.

"Oh, Gavin! I was just admiring these cherry tree blossoms, thinking about how much work goes into keeping them alive, do you ever think about that?" you give him a kind smile, turning back to the lonely cherry tree in the middle of the plains, not too far away from the castle.

Walking up to be next to the you, he replies, "I cannot say I have, Your Highness."

You give a hum in response, and continue admiring the tree, feeling safer and more comfortable with Gavin nearby watching over you, as he seemingly always has. Looking down at your very wide and beautiful light pink dress, with white trims and designs of flowers, with white long sleeves with frilly ends, you laugh to yourself, nervously.

"Gavin?" You look away from your clothing and give a calm look to Gavin. Waiting a second, Gavin looks at the you, waiting for you to continue.

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"How is my brother? Is he still upset?" you look away, feeling embarrassed but knowing that you have to ask before you consider going back and talking to him.

"Oh, Your Highness," He seemed upbeat all of a sudden, giving a kind smile before continuing, "He can never stay too mad at you, he is just stressed with taking over the kingdom, your fathers death was as hard on him, as it was on you."

You hang your head in embarrassment.

"So...no?"

Gavin nods, giving a sense of security and comfort to the situation. You smiled to yourself, giving a glance back to the castle.

"Shall we head back, Gavin?" After receiving a nod from the older man, you turns towards the castle, and begins to stroll slowly back, with Gavin closely following behind.

So, what do you guys think? Short chapter, I know, and I'll start more with the back round and the story, but I would love feedback, no matter how far along I might be in already writing the book, I am always looking to improve. Thank you, and stay nerds!