Mother Knows Worst

Astoria had been awake for three hours, yet she had not left her bed. All she could think about was how much her life had changed in one day. How one silly man could ruin and fix everything at the same time. Yes, she would lose her freedom, but she had gained a friend, something Astoria had never had. Eventually Astoria's thoughts were interrupted by her mother.

     "Astoria, what are you doing in bed at this hour? The Malfoys will be here in fifteen minutes!"

     Astoria sat up. "Since when are the Malfoys coming over?"

     "Since he's your fiance, Astoria!"

     "Mother, he's not my fiance."

     "You mean he didn't propose?"

     "Mother, I've known Draco for two days and you expect me to be engaged already? That is the most adsurd statement I've ever heard. You barely know the Malfoys and you won't hesitate to put me in their hospitality."

     "Astoria, do stop your prattle and put this dress on!" Mrs. Greengrass threw a horrid puffy pink nightmare at her daughter and stormed out of the room.

     Astoria forced herself out of the warmth of the covers and grabbed her wand. Levitating the ghastly dress back to the closet, Astoria chose a longer, white dress that didn't remind her too much of a wedding gown. Astoria then magicked her hair up and sped out the door.

     Astotia could practically hear her mother's false smile as she entered the drawing room. But the most entertaining part of the scene was Draco looking as if he wanted to be anywhere else.

     Mrs. Greengrass turned around and saw Astoria. "Here's the lovely bride to be!" The sickeningly cheery voice immediately turned into a snarl as Astoria walked into whispering range.

     "What are you wearing, Astoria?! You look like a child with it on. At least your hair turned out all right . . ."

     Astoria ignored her mother and sat next to Draco on the sofa.

    Mrs. Greengrass was stared at Astoria, mouth gaping open, appalled. How dare she ignore her mother! And she didn't even greet the guests! The nerve of this girl . . .but the facade must continue.

     Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy, perhaps you'll join me downstairs to discuss the details," said Mrs. Greengrass. The three of them vacated the room, while Astoria and Draco were left alone.

     "No offense, but your mother is a right pain in the arse. She wouldn't stop asking if I wanted tea, and wouldn't stop blabbing about your 'flawless etiquette'. But at least your entrance shut her up," Draco said smiling.

      "That's good old Mum," Astoria replied with a chuckle.

     "Are you feeling all right? After . . ."

     Astoria silenced him. "Yes. It actually took quite a weight off my shoulders."

     "I'm so sorry that ever happened to you. I want you to know that . . . as your husband, I would never let anyone hurt you again."

     "That's a very comforting thought, Draco." Astoria's small but sincere smile graced Draco's existent once again.

     "You don't have to be a mother if you don't want to. I don't care what my father says, the Malfoy line can die with me."

     "Draco, why would you concern yourself with that now?" Astoria asked.

     "Look at my past. I've killed before, Astoria. Could you really see me raising a child?"

     Astoria paused then answered. "You shouldn't keep yourself from something just because of what you used to be. You are much more than someone who didn't have a choice."

     "How can you be so willing to do this? I took your freedom. We met two days ago and now you're stuck with me for the rest of your life. How can you possibly so willing to bear a child for me, let alone spend any time with me?"

     "I don't know the answer."