Chapter 19: Attack in the Bayou

"That's it," Eve told Hayley. "Inhale and release."

The three were on the ground practicing Lamaze as time inched ever closer to the due date. Colette had been spending a bit more time out in the bayou with Hayley to get her ready. With so few friendly faces in the Quarter lately, she felt safer in the bayou with her friend. And there was nothing like helping an expectant mother like she used to do, to distract her with such ease.

Hayley sighed. "I guess this means no epidural, huh? You sure I can't do this thing in, say, a hospital, the place with the doctors and the drugs?"

Colette helped Hayley sit up. "Between Eve and I, we have well over 600 years in midwife experience. No need to worry about it."

"Okay. Then what? I don't even know what it's like to have a mother, let alone be one."

"Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do," said Eve.

"I hope so. As fun as it is to imagine Klaus changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing this alone," Hayley replied.

Colette shook her head. "For all their talk about family, I highly doubt you'll be raising her alone."

Speak the devil's name and he shall come. Or at least, his brother will. Elijah stood in the doorway and looked between Hayley and Colette. "Pardon the interruption. I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising."

Besides her and Hayley, Elijah had dragged Jackson and Oliver into the little impromptu meeting in the barn. Over the time that Colette had been in the bayou, Hayley and Jackson told her about Klaus' deal. He would help get them moonlight rings. Whatever it was that benefited him was a mystery. While he said he wanted to help the wolves, they all felt they knew it was more than that. So did Elijah. "You're making a grave mistake."

Oliver scoffed. "So, you're just worried about us. Is that it?"

Jackson sighed, "Look, Elijah. We know all about your brother's reputation, but if there is even a chance that these rings can help us take control of our curse -"

"Our gift," Oliver interrupted.

"-then, honestly, we don't care what he's really after. Won't have to."

"I see. There are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation," Elijah replied.

"Apparently, most of them see us breathing the same way," said Oliver.

Elijah turned to the girls. "You both signed a pledge, and you looked me in the eye as you did so."

"We don't want a fight, Elijah. We just want a better life," said Hayley.

"And I can do as I damn well please. I'm on my own side, remember? I decide who I want to help. I've felt responsible for what happened to this pack for decades. If I can make things better for them, I'm going to do it," Colette told him.

"Allegiance with my brother will guarantee you anything but that," he reminded them.

The three of them stared each other down until the sound of a motorbike came roaring through the door. Everyone looked toward the door in confusion. No one in the pack had a motorcycle. Jackson walked toward the door. "What the hell?"

Outside, the motorcycle sounded ten times louder coming down the hill toward the encampment. Jackson led the way as the biker came to a halt and asked, "Which one of you is in charge?"