Chapter 5: Good As Gone

Start from the beginning

‘Here we go!’ she shouted and gave Kimberly and Schlap their drinks. 

‘On Kimberly!’ Schlap yelled. 

‘On Kimberly!’ Karen repeated… and myself let’s get drunk she thought.

Schlap touched Karen’s shoulder. 

‘Yes?’ she looked up. 

‘Eh, Karen. I want to tell something to Kimberly, something private. You’ll know it soon but…’ 

‘I don’t need any excuses, Schlap. I’ll leave for some minutes.’ She stood up and grabbed her coat and took a seat on the back porch outside. It was cold, but she likes it. It helps against her headache. Like she promised herself she would get drunk. She was wondering what Schlap wants to tell Kim. I think he loves her back. I hope so, Kimberly could use some love. Real love, no love from her best friend who’s a liar. Karen had been struggling with this feeling for more than a year, she finally thought it stopped but it came  back. She was pretending the chat in her head from Kimberly and her when she will explain her behavior to Kimberly, soon, when the door got open. 

‘Oh my God, Karen, you never guess what just happened!’ Kimberly yelled. Enjoy the last moments with your best friend. 

‘Tell me.’ Kimberly took a seat next to Karen. 

‘Schlap and I just… we kissed!’ she was shocked about what she said. ‘oh gussie, this is so stupid what did I do?’  tears showed up in her eyes. 

‘That’s amazing!’ Karen shouted. ‘I ’know you feel guilty but you have to move on girl. I know sure Steven wants that too.’ 

‘you think so?’ 

‘Yes! Where’s Schlap now?’ 

‘He left. He told me that he fell in love with me too. I said I did the same and we kissed. Then he asked if it was a little too early, which I couldn’t reply. He told me that I have to think about it and call him soon. It’s up to me.’ 

‘That’s so sweet!’ Karen said. Kimberly put her head on Karen’s shoulder. ‘Should I call him?’ Karen nodded. ‘You really should, believe me.’ 

‘Then I’ll do it.’

Five days later it was Jimi’s birthday. He invited the band to celebrate it with some old friends from Birmingham. 

‘Karen, what are you doing?’ Kimberly yelled  from downstairs. 

‘I’m coming.’ Karen appeared in the living room. Kimberly whistled. 

‘Pretty girl.’ 

‘Is it too much?’ Kimberly shook her head. 

‘I actually think so.’ Karen looked down, she was wearing a very short dark blue strapless dress with black high heels.

‘Why are you dressed like you’re going to a premiere?’ 

‘You see, you don’t like it.’ 

‘Kiki! I didn’t said that you look fabulous I’m just wondering it.’ Karen started to cry and walked to Kimberly. 

‘What’s wrong sweetie?’ The girls hugged eachother. 

‘Kim, I have to tell you something. You will not like it for sure.’ Kimberly looked shocked. They took a seat on the couch. 

‘I… I’ve been in love with Jimi for a long time.’ Silence. Karen looked surprised. ‘What? No hate. You don’t scream? What’s wrong with you? You’re supposed to be angry at me.’