"I'm not nervous at all." Rosalind kept her eyes down as she ran her fingers across the needlework in her lap. "The Williamsons have always been kind to me if a bit forgetful about my presence."

"True, but Mrs. Goldman will be coming as well and you know how much the woman likes stirring up trouble."

"As far as I have seen, she merely enjoys gossip the same as any member of society," Rosalind said with as much patience she could muster. "Really, Emily, you cannot allow your past grievances and dislikes continue to color the present. Otherwise, you will be constantly unhappy."

In the ensuing silence, she glanced up to see Emily tilting her head with a frown. "What?" Rosalind asked, surprised by her cousin's thoughtful expression.

"I'm trying to think of how I can turn that back on you, the veritable queen of allowing the past to influence the present," Emily said. She sighed and shook her head. "Never mind. I promise I will be civil to all of my guests if that is what you are concerned about."

"No, but that is an admirable start. You really must think of your children. You do wish for them to grow up in a friendly neighborhood, do you not? And to have friends to associate and play with?"

With a huff, Emily crossed her arms. "Of course I do."

Relieved to have turned the conversation away from herself, Rosalind smiled. "There you are, then." She lifted her needle again. "Be polite, make friends, and make sure your children will be accepted in the neighborhood."

"But none of that explains why you look so worried. Did you read something unsettling in your father's journal this morning?"

"Oh, no," Rosalind said hastily. "What I've read has been mostly references to the weather, his thoughts on the politics of the day, and the people he met. I cannot tell if he made mention of those people because he owed them money or if they owed him."

Emily hummed a note. "Well, then, what has you so worried?"

The door opened, saving Rosalind from having to find a way to reassure her cousin. "Mrs. Smithson and Miss Smithson," the butler announced.

Shooting her cousin one last narrow-eyed look, Emily rose from her seat. The visitors entered the drawing room. "Mrs. Smithson, Miss Smithson, welcome," the lady of the house said with graciousness. "I'm so happy you could visit us today."

"We are delighted to be able to join you, Mrs. Williams," Mrs. Smithson said cheerfully. She dropped a proper curtsy and then straightened. "The whole neighborhood has been holding its breath in anticipation for when you would begin entertaining."

Emily made no answer to that statement but invited them to sit down. "I'm sorry the rain will confine us inside today," she said. "I'd planned on some lawn games, but I'm sure we can amuse ourselves just as easily indoors."

"Lady Evan, perhaps you could tell us news from London?" Miss Smithson asked eagerly as she sat down. "The latest gossip? The change in fashion?"

Though she couldn't keep from flinching, Rosalind managed to keep a smile on her face. "I'm sure you keep up with the fashion plates more than I do, Miss Smithson," she said to the younger girl. "My seamstress in London had to guide me in every choice I made, I'm afraid."

Miss Smithson blushed prettily, taking Rosalind's words as a compliment. "But what about the latest happenings? Surely there must be something new you can tell us."

"I'm sure the latest Luddite attack is known even here. It is cause for concern to most."

The girl waved her hand. "What about Princess Caraboo? Is she as exotic as the reports have said? Have you seen her?"