Chapter 1

(Ash's P.O.V)

"Police have found another body in a forested area this afternoon. They have identified her as Kirsten Hale, the fourteen year old girl who had been missing for a week. Investigators believe that this is the doing of the same unknown man responsible for the many murders these past six months-" the television was abruptly turned off.

I turned around and saw my dad holding the remote.

"I think that's enough t.v. for today," he said. My father was a forty-six year old man with dark brown hair and mustache, strands of grey staining them. He was about six feet tall and looked strong for his age. He was also a police officer.

He had been trying to catch this guy ever since these murders started. Every time there's a new victim, he always feels like he's not doing his job right. That he's not doing enough to prevent this guy from taking another life. That he's not doing enough to protect my sister and I.

Exhausted, he tosses the remote on the couch and goes back to his room. It was getting a little late, so I went upstairs to my room. When I opened my door, I saw my fourteen year old sister, Hannah, sitting on my bed in her pajamas.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked her. She shrugged her shoulders. "Well, it's getting late and we have school tomorrow. Go back to your room and sleep."

She got up from my bed and slowly walked past me, going to get room. Usually, Hannah is a lot more energetic and annoying, but as these killings kept dragging on, it was affecting her more and more. I stripped down to only my boxers and got in my bed, falling asleep fast.

The next morning, I woke up to the blaring noise of my alarm clock. I hit the snooze button and looked at the time. 5:30. I groaned loudly. Why did school have to start so damn early? I wasn't ready to get up yet, so I pulled the covers over my head and tried to go back to sleep. Not even a second later, my dad shouts outside the door, "Ash, time to get up!"

I groaned loudly again and slowly got ready for school. I showered and got dressed and went downstairs. Hannah goes to school earlier than me, so she was already gone. Dad was in the kitchen leaning on the counters, car keys in hand. Since the bus to my school didn't come to my neighborhood, dad has been driving to and from school. He also doesn't like me walking by myself now.

"Dad, I can walk by myself," I said. He didn't like the idea and was going to say something, but I cut him off.

"Dad, I know you want to protect me, but school isn't that far away. I'll be fine."

He looked at me for a minute, then sighed. "Alright," he said. "I'll let you walk. But be careful."

I went over to him and wrapped my tiny arms around him. Unlike my dad, I was pretty short. I had long brown hair and grey eyes. I also had a tiny figure. In other words, I looked just like my mom.

When my mom was still around, a lot of women envied her. She was a very beautiful woman. Whenever I was upset, she was always there to comfort me. She always knew what to say. She and I were inseparable until the day she died. I still have nightmares about it.

I let go of dad and quickly left the house, not wanting to be late. As I was walking, I felt this strange feeling, like someone was watching me.

*******

I was in my room sitting in my bed. Both my parents were at work, so my dad's sister, Aunt Andrea, was watching me and Hannah until they got back.

I was drawing a picture for them. I looked at the time on my clock. 8:30. Daddy always worked late, but mommy was always home at 7:00. I was getting really sleepy, but I never went to bed until mom was here.

As time went by, I began to get worried. Mommy never came home late. The doorbell rang, suddenly. Aunt Andrea was probably with Hannah. She was very difficult. I went downstairs and opened the door. I was shocked to see two police officers there.

"Um, hello," I said.

One of them knelt down in front of me. "Hello," he said. "Do you know a woman named Tina Caraway?"

"Yeah. That's my mommy." The man in front of me looked up at his partner, then looked back down at me. From behind me I heard Aunt Andrea come down stairs.

"What's going on?" she asked. The officer then said, " Son, your mother was found dead in a ditch."

I was snapped out of the nightmare. I looked over and saw my best friend, Cole. He had a worried look on his face.

"The bell just rang, Ash. Everyone left. Are you okay?" I looked up and saw that the class was empty. Even the teacher was gone.

"Yeah," I said. "I'm fine."

"Okay," he said.

*******

I was on my way home, when I heard a voice.

"Yo, faggot!" Shit. As soon as he said that, I wasted no time and started running. Behind me, several pairs of feet were pounding the sidewalk. The good thing about me being short was that I can run fast. But my bullies are athletic, so they always end up catching me.

I was suddenly tackled to the ground. Two boys held me down, while Drew, the leader, looked down at me with an evil smirk.

Fuck. Me.