Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

Start from the beginning

* ݤ *

The car ride to the beach was awkward, at least for me, and I couldn't have been happier to arrive. I said one short goodbye to Chad and Ashley before rushing to where everyone was as quickly as I could. Travis walked behind me.

"Hey!" Kathy called to me and I shot her a pleasant smile.

"Hey. Is Marcus here yet?"

I saw something run through her eyes, as if she was mad, but she shook it away. "Yeah, he's over by the rocks with a couple of guys. Wh-"

I didn't hear the rest of her words for I had already dropped my things and I was running full speed to the rocks. Something strange was happening and I thought Marcus would be the only one who knew what was going on.

"Marcus!" I yelled.

"Hey! Sadie!" he called back. I climbed up the rocks and with Marcus' help, I was soon sitting next to him.

"We need to talk," I said seriously.

His eyes went wide. "What's wrong?"

"Something...something is happening to me and I don't know what. This morning I tried to lie and no one believed me! And when I made Travis tell me a lie, I didn't get that feeling like I normally do!"

"Travis was at your house?"

"Focus!"

"Sorry!" He paused for a moment. "So your powers aren't working?"

"It seems that way..."

"Well, I guess you should just meditate. See what happens."

I closed my eyes and took hallow breaths. I felt my heart rate slow and my breathing become more even as I focused on just myself, not letting any of my worries reach me.

I felt a surge in my chest, a surge of power. I felt it envelope me, I felt it take over, I felt it mix with my blood.

I opened my eyes. Marcus stared at me with wonder, making me curious. "What?"

"Look at the rock," he breathed.

Sure enough, looking at the rock was a good idea. When I had first sat on it, it was square-ish and bulky. Now I sat on a completely flat rock, yet I hadn't moved. The rock had changed.

"What in the world?" I mumbled to myself, my mind absent.

"You can shift things!" Marcus laughed in awe. "You're just like me- you're graced with more than one power!"

I felt my body begin to tremble, the panic hitting me at full force. I was changing...and I wasn't sure I liked it.

* ݤ *

I walked along the beach with Kathy, just the two of us talking. Travis had thrown a hissy fit, saying how he didn't know anyone and how he didn't want to be around a bunch of nerds. Little did he know that half of the people here could kill him without touching him.

He was now enjoying himself, though. Marcus took him under his wing and finally Travis wasn't being such a baby.

"Does..." Kathy started but she didn't need to finish.

"Yes, Kathy, I know he likes you! I just don't know why he isn't asking you out..."

She linked our arms and we continued to walk, our toes being caressed by the softness of wet sand. The sun was setting and I had been wet, but thanks to a local bathroom, I was changed and warm. I was wearing a yellow baseball t-shirt (the ones with the sleeves that go to your elbow and they're colored and the rest is white) and a pair of navy blue sweatpants. My hair was wet, but I felt so comfortable I could probably just go to sleep right here.