Chapter 17

Elton stayed until the moon started to set again, hugging Kerowyn tightly before he did so. “Be safe my little one. I would hate to see you come to the moon too early. Talk to the others and see what they think about becoming a pack with you. After all, a pack of three is still a pack.”

Kero smiled and returned the hug before pulling away to smile at her mentor. “I promise. I have grown from this time with you and with the pure wolves. If only there was a way to know the others would be okay with the bonds. After all, they have dealt with just as much trouble as I have and may not want to be in another pack again.”

“That is a fair assessment, but I know that you can do it and if they dont want to be a part of it then it’s time to make them all move on. Even they don’t have the respect of the pures like you do.” He said with a small chuckle. “It will be the first step towards being the alpha that I know you can be.”

She rolled her eyes and shook her head at him. “Be safe, Elton, I’ll miss you.”

He gave her one more hug, kissing her forehead before turning and walking off, disappearing a few feet later. With her friend gone, probably for a long time, Kerowyn turned around and looked at the small land that she had cultivated on her own. Sure She had shown her how to handle the pure wolves, how their own packs worked and how to integrate into their world, but she had actually done it. She now lived alongside the pure pack and had even brought in others. It was a challenge balancing her two worlds but she was finding a way. After all they were two different creatures living together in one land. Maybe one day they would be two packs in one land.

Soft foot falls would rouse her from her thoughts and pull her gaze from the clearing below her where a few pures were starting to mill about, to the dark brown fur of Esme’s wolf. The other shifter returned to her human form as she sat down neck to the redhead. “What has you thinking so hard that you are still up? You and I have a hunt in the morning with the pures, you should be asleep.”

Kero chuckled and slid to the ground herself, running a hand through her hair. “I was thinking on something Elton left in my head. About a future… with a pack.”

“A pack? Like a different one?” She asked, turning to look at her with a confused look of surprise. “What did he say?”

“As in a new one.” Kero replied softly, glancing over to watch Esme’s reaction. When she seemed to simply turn pensive. “He actually suggested that I talk to both of you about starting our own pack.. Alongside the pures.”

Esme raised a brow but smiled nudging the smaller woman with a smirk. “I would love to start a pack with you. I know that Grey would as well. He doesn’t really say it much, but I know he feels a lot more comfortable here because you don’t make a big deal out of his human disabilities. Even the wolves have not seemed to be bothered by the change when he shifts around them.”

Kerowyn could feel her cheeks turn red as heat rose in them, looking shyly away at Esme’s kind words. “I’m glad, I was worried that you two wouldn’t want to after what happened to you in your last one.”

Esme only laughed and slung an arm around her shoulders. “I promise, this has been much better than the last place we called home. I would love to call you my alpha in more than just title. But when or if that happens is entirely up to you. Besides being Alpha isn’t an easy job once we really get going. If we are to become a big pack like the ones we have all come from.”

Kero sighed and shook her head despite the comfort the words brought her. “I’ll think about it then, its not something we should do quickly but it will most definitely make things easier here over time.”

“Good,” She said with a nod, giving her friend a small tired smile. “But come on, we need sleep. Like you said earlier, we have a hunt in the morning to do and a small stores hunt now that winter is starting to make the mornings cold.

~*~
I am sorry for the shortness, however I am planning on starting the next chapter soon. Hopefully while I drive and fly to my family this holiday season, I can get out another chapter or two in this month. Thanks for all your loyal support.
Also, I am debating on looking for a prereader or two to look at my chapters before I post them and possibly bounce story futures off of.
~*~