Chapter Three

"You look... heavenly, my lady." Delphine marvels as I step foot in front of the tall, three-paneled mirror in the corner of my bedroom. Lucille and Jasmine stand behind, admiring their work with cheeky grins.

The second my gaze lands on my own reflection, I audibly gasp.

Never, in my 16 years of life, have I ever felt so beautiful.

The silver of my gown glitters in the flickering candlelight, and the jeweled bodice showing off the fairness of my skin hugs me in all of the right places. The skirt billows out with an eye-catching hand-stitched pattern of swirls, shining in all of its glory whenever the light could catch it. A jeweled headband is secured into my hair, which falls into soft ebony curls, framing my face and falling effortlessly down my back. My hands are adorned with dainty lace gloves. Delphine has taken care into adding my mother's beloved clustered pearl hanging earrings as an extra touch. My ladies added a berry-colored rouge, a faint blush to my cheek bones, and a strange, coal-like pigment to my eyes which made their normally boring shade of brown pop, giving them an alluring quality.

I look nothing like the me I had grown used to, but the drastic change was more than welcome.

"They'll be falling at your feet tonight, Addie." Jasmine whispers encouragingly, and I realize with a jolt that I had been silent for so long they weren't sure if they'd be getting the reaction they had hoped for.

"Thank you, thank you all so much." I grin finally, spinning around to capture them all in a bone-crushing hug, the four of us laughing uncontrollably like children.

We quickly fall silent when a knock sounds at my door. I follow Jasmine and Lucille as they open it to see who could be calling. Standing on the other side is my elder brother Thomas, dressed in his best for the ball, and I rush to meet him in the doorway.

"You are as beautiful as mother." Thomas compliments instantly, kissing my forehead.

"I see you've already finished preparing." I reply, taking in the way he had smoothed his unruly black curls back. He would be participating in the Brighton Season alongside Lillibet and I, but this is not his first Season. He has participated in two already, but neither had produced him a woman to marry and cherish.

He and I are very similar, which is why I know he is a dreamer, and he is only taking all of this time in hopes of finding his truest love.

"Yes, of course! The ball will begin soon, Addie. Many debutantes have already left, but I just wanted to see you before you headed off. I am elated that you are able to be here." He smiles.

"All thanks to you, brother." I mirror his expression. I turn to look back at my ladies, who are dressed in their own gowns and waiting. "We had better go now."

"Good luck." Thomas whispers, squeezing my shoulder. He quickly bids farewell and disappears into the corridor, and moments later, my ladies and I do the same.

The chatter of guests slowly grows louder with each step we take towards the ballroom, and we travel in silence due to my nerves at the prospect of being formally announced to so many people. But as I am caught in my troubling thoughts, I see another familiar face.

"Christine!" I call much louder than I should have, but it luckily captures the girl ahead of me's attention, and she turns excitedly to see me.

"Adalie, I am so happy to see you!" My dearest childhood friend cries as she throws her arms around me, the jewels on our dresses tinkling as we make contact.

"Thank heavens I was able to find you before we are to be announced, I am petrified!" I admit the second we pull back, easily falling into step beside each other to assure we will not be late.

"So am I!" She giggles, grabbing my hand and squeezing it quickly.

"But you have nothing to worry about, Chrissy. You look marvelous!" I say, happily bringing attention to her stunning emerald gown, which glitters similarly to my own and highlights her golden curls and perfect complexion.

With her beauty and considerable dowry, I have no doubt that Chrissy will be contentedly betrothed come the end of the Season.

"I do, don't I?" She replies with a straight face, only to break out into a fit of contagious giggles moments later, after I playfully hit her arm. The pair of us poke fun at each other until we reach the doors to the grand ballroom, the noise having drowned out our voices. I mouth a thank you to my dear friend, grateful that we had been able to ease each other's nerves at what awaited us here.

I step forward to take my place in line behind several debutantes who had managed to arrive before me, and I quickly notice that I am likely the only one here who doesn't much care for the spot I had earned in line.

Before me are four others. A girl in a spectacular royal blue gown of satin is at the front, her brunette hair piled in intricately styled curls and embellished with pearls. Behind her stands my sister, in a lovely tulle gown that is faintly pink, which brings out the natural blush to her cheeks, her own black hair atop her head with some small curls left out to frame her face. Then, a red-haired girl in aubergine whose hair has been gathered simply at the base of her neck, and finally, an impatient girl in a red and gold patterned dress with so many blonde curls styled over her head, I was surprised she had not already collapsed under the weight.

"I surely hope I will not be kept waiting much longer." The girl hisses into one of her ladies' ears, and the girl quickly nods. As if on cue, the crowd audibly hushes so that the first debutante may be announced.

"I am glad they will only do this at our premiere ball." I murmur to Lucille before shutting my mouth in time to catch the name of the girl waiting in front.

"Introducing Lady Rose Hamilton of Brandon." The girl saunters forward at the sound of her name with her ladies close behind, a dazzling smile lighting up her features. She seems to feel perfectly comfortable while standing before so many judging eyes, while I feel quite the opposite.

"Introducing Lady Elizabeth Blackmore of Somerset." My sister also moves forward with ease, the perfect picture of a noble, demure young lady. I quietly let out a sigh.

"Introducing Lady Gwendolyn Douglas of Dover." The girl with fiery hair takes a tentative step forward, and I realize with a jolt that I am nearing my own turn.

"Introducing Lady Katherine-Anne Arnold of Manchester." The girl in front of me takes on the crowd in total confidence, a large smile lighting up her previously pinched face.

I am next.

I steal a glance at the man who will announce me, barely hearing his cry of, "Introducing Lady Adalie Blackmore of Somerset."

My breath hitches in the back of my throat as I finally look over the sea of upturned faces, the respectful smattering of applause almost deafening as I begin my descent down the grand staircase.

-