Chapter 4

Chapter 4

New Developments

I put Friday night behind me, trying to pretend that it didn't even happen, or at least pretend that it had been a junk food induced bad dream. I tried to forget what I had seen at Gurtie's house and in my room. And that pitiful denial was working great for me until the team regrouped at my house Saturday afternoon after some much needed sleep.

After I fed Katie I took my usual place in Indigo chair and tried to stay awake long enough to listen to the digital recorders. The recorders were used because they could pick up sounds that the human ear couldn't. This meant that we could pick up EVP's. (Electronic Voice Phenomena) but to tell you the truth it's usually just a lot of static and our voices that seem to be talking to absolutely nothing.

We had many recorders. We had one for every active room plus ones that we carried around wherever we went just in case we got something. We usually didn't get anything. Ghost hunting can be very tedious sometimes. Like reviewing evidence is very tedious.

My first recorder was from inside the den of Gurtie's house. The two hours that we had spent in the room hadn't been for nothing. After twenty minutes in I got a hit. After one of my questions I got a reply a short one but still and intelligent reply all the same. And that was one of the best things you could find. Actual communication with the paranormal was what every paranormal hunter was trying to get evidence of. I listened to the rest of the two hours but didn't get anything besides some faint whispers that could be contributed to static or something else more logical.

Just before I was finished with my part Jack walked over to me carrying a digital recorder and a pair of head phones. His face was smooth but I could tell that he was resigning in some other emotion but I didn't know what. He sat the equipment on my lap without a word and pulled a foldable chair up next to my chair.

"I want you to listen to this." He said quietly looking around the rest of the room. I looked to and saw Meagan sleeping at one end of the big brown couch (Mr. Neely) and Julie snuggled up tightly at the other. The whole image reminded me of puppies sleeping in a basket. It made me smile. Even though Meagan wasn't my favorite person she was hard to dislike when she looked so peaceful and quiet. Now if only she would stay that way, I thought hopefully to myself. I Looked for Emma and saw her sitting on the floor asleep sitting up her head lolled of the side and her mouth hanging open. There was a laptop next to her on the floor completely forgotten. Aaron I noticed was asleep with his head on Emma's legs. It was a rather cute little picture if you don't count the fact that they were all slacking off.

I looked back to Jack, "Why?" I asked lamely straightening up in my chair.

"Whisper, just listen to it," he said quickly, stopping anything else I might have said.

I picked up Jack's recorder it was much like my own, the same model, the only difference was a questionable happy face sticker stuck to the back. I looked at him one eyebrow rose. His only response was to look away but I could tell there was a small smirk on his face. I put the headphones over my ears. They were the heavy duty kind, meant to block out sound as well as enhance it. I pushed play. And I listened.

After a minute, through the static I could hear the conversation that I and Jack had had in Gurtie's upstairs bedroom. It shocked me to hear the panic in my own voice or the desperate pleads to leave the room. I felt heat collect on my face, my brow began to sweat, I was mortified. It made me seem all the more ridiculous to hear myself talking to absolutely nothing. The static that rang through my ears during the pauses was almost enough to say you are truly a freak. I kept listening trying to hide my shame when a thought occurred to me.