April 1st

AHHH!!! Why can't WCD just be content with me curling up in a blanket, eating marshmallows, and watching tv?

Oh yeah, it's probably because the superintendent of my middle school is just OUT TO GET all of the eighth graders. I mean, if I were super intendent of a middle school, I definitely would NOT force young teens to go on a 3 day long camping trip to Camp Red Willows. With musty, moldy cabins, Mosquitos, and, most importantly, WITHOUT WIFI!!! Just how horribly CRUEL is that?

I am so NOT looking forward to this camping trip, which, unfortunately, starts as soon as I get to school today. If I could have, I would have skipped out on school today so I wouldn't have to go, but this camping trip counts as a grade for my biology class, which, BTW, I am barely pulling a C in.

So I decided to pack an emergency kit for the camping trip. My authentic emergency kit (which I dubbed, The Nikki Maxwell Camping Emergency Kit for Emergencies) includes:

Nerds Sparkly Candy Flavored Lip Gloss (because if a bear is mercilessly hunting me down, he'll get mesmerized by my ultra glossy lips and I will be able to escape)

Allergy Medication (Wouldn't it be embarrassing if I sneezed boogers all over the girl in front of me's hair?)

A Compact Mirror ( for when I am stranded and I need to signal a helicopter. Also so I can check if the girl behind me forgot her allergy meds, if you know what I mean.)

A Pocket Knife (this is the ONE TIME Principal Winston is letting students bring a knife to a school related event, so why not?)

A Watch (so I can count down the hours until it's ALL OVER)

Small Bottle of Bug Spray (because I hope flies are extinct tomorrow)

A Bottle of Water (I WILL pass out if I'm dehydrated!)

I was going to carry it all in a small camo messenger bag. We were allowed to leave the rest of our stuff (like clothes and sleeping bags) in the cabins.

Then the time came when I had to go to school. The minutes quickly ticked away until we had to board the bus. In the mean time, I busied myself talking to Chloe and Zoey.

"OMG Nikki, I can't wait!!!" Chloe squealed. " I SO want to sleep under the stars tonight with our sleeping bags and pillow and flashlights and allergy medications and-"

"Woah Chloe," Zoey interrupted, " You're excited about points of light in the sky when we could be excited about- actually, nevermind."

"TELL US TELL US!!!" Chloe and I said impatiently.

Zoey smirked. "Well, I guess I have no choice now. Anyway, we could be excited about, oh I dunno, maybe, the Lake Girl?! She's this zombie that only comes out at night. She'll emerge from the lake all slimy with greasy hair and capture ignorant cute teenage boys to be her husband. Legend has it she was once just a normal eighth grade girl when she was dared to dive to the bottom of the lake at night. She never came back up."

Chloe's eyes were as big as saucers, which made me wonder how big mine were.

"Is she... real?" Said Brandon from behind me.

"BRANDON!!" I whisper screamed. "You scared me!!!"

"Sorry. I was just listening to the story. I thought you realized I was behind you."

I blushed. "Oh no it's okay Brandon, I'm just a little jumpy this morning." I said hastily.

But Zoey hadn't answered his question. Was the Lake Girl real?