Calm To Her Chaos (2/2)

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Mari, it's Adrien. You said you needed something?"

The door opened and Adrien's jaw dropped at the scene in front of him.

Yarn.

It was everywhere.

In every color and size, yarn covered the room like fleas on a cat.

Including the lone inhabitant; the clumsy, lovable bluenette standing on the door's threshold.

"What did you do, Marinette?"

"I don't know," Marinette moaned. "I was trying to make some stuff for my parents. I look up, and not only has it been, like, 4 hours, but the room is covered in yarn."

Adrien burst into laughter.

"It's not funny!"

"Oh, I would love to disagree," Adrien snorted. "C'mon, Bluebell, let's clean this up."

"Only if you promise not to laugh, hot stuff," She grumbled and he chuckled at her.

Together, they started to sort through the mess, trying to separate the different types of yarn. Halfway through, Adrien noticed the lack of sassy comments coming from his blue-eyed friend. Turning, he found her kneeling on the floor, face twisted with frustration as she tried to undo a particularly large knot of at least five different types of thread.

"You okay, Mari?"

"Yeah, fine," She muttered distractedly. He wasn't convinced.

Walking over to her, he sat in front of her and gently grabbed her hands, halting them from their murderous rampage. "What's wrong?"

Marinette bit her lip.

Adrien just waited.

"I- I'm just such a mess! I mean look at this!" She gestured loosely at the room. "Everything's chaotic and messy, and I'm always just so stupid and clumsy! You shouldn't have to put up with me, I'm sorry for even dragging you into this." Marinette took a breath, probably ready to continue rambling but stopping in surprise as Adrien pulled her into a hug.

Gently, he wrapped his arms around her torso, using his thumbs to softly rub circles into her back. His attempts to calm her seemed to work as she slowly relaxed, the fight going out of her as she embraced him.

"Better?" Adrien murmured.

"Yeah. Thank you, Adrien," Marinette whispered back.

"Good. Now listen to me." He pulled back, leaving his hands on her arms.

"There is absolutely nowhere else I would rather be, right now. I'm not putting up with you, I'm genuinely happy to be here. You didn't drag me here, you asked me for my help. I accepted because I wanted to and I like spending time with you, not because I was trying to be polite. Yes, you're chaotic, yes you're clumsy, but you're also unspeakably kind and caring. You are amazing. I wouldn't change a thing about you, from your bullheaded stubbornness to your habit of tripping on air. All of that stuff makes you who you are."

Marinette only stared at him. "So who am I?"

"You are Marinette Dupain-Cheng. The lovable, stubborn, sassy, sweet, extremely clumsy bluenette. And that is why we love you."

One second, he was kneeling in front of a gaping Marinette, hands on her shoulders. The next second, she had jumped on top of him, crushing him in a hug so hard he fell backward. His back hit the ground and Marinette's body lay on top of his, arms wrapped around his neck. Adrien placed his arms on her waist and squeezed her tightly.

And that is why we love you.

"Thanks, Adrien," Marinette whispered.

Adrien only smiled fondly and hugged her tighter instead of responding. His words continued to echo in the comfortable silence between them.

And that is why we love you.

They stayed like that for a minute, just embracing each other silently. Eventually, they parted to clean up the rest of the room. It was a minute later when Adrien say a flash of red on Marinette's pinky.

"Hey, there's some yarn on your hand."

Marinette looked down at her right hand, where, sure enough, a piece of yarn had tied itself around her pinky. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I wonder how that got there."

They worked on clearing the yarn to see where the other end was.

"Um, Adrien?"

"Yeah?"

"The other end is on your pinky," Marinette pointed out.

He looked at his hands where, like she said, the end was knotted on his right hand.

"That's funny. How did it get tied on our fingers?" Adrien questioned, face scrunched up curiously. Marinette shrugged.

If only they had realized what the yarn really was, even if it was only visible to them for a second. The red string of fate.

But they didn't, and continued on with attack on Marinette's room.

And as Adrien watched his friend from the corner of his eye, he made a silent promise to himself.

A promise to make sure that he always lessened the blow of her insecurities. A promise to always be a source of comfort, to make sure that the self-contempt never remained in her eyes.

A promise to remind her every day of how amazing she was.

Adrien silently promised to always be a calming presence in Marinette's life.

The calm to her chaos.

~~~~~~~~

Short but sweet. :)

It was originally supposed to be called 'A Loose Thread.'

This is the second part of the two-shot written in honor of edendaphne

Who else has seen Weredad/Papa Garou? I can't be the only one that had hoped for some PRIVATE Marichat. Also, I have a whole knew perspective on Tom.

Which I'm not completely sure I like. 😅

By the way, I hope you all had a great Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukkah/Diwali.

And I hope you all have an amazing new year!

Xoxo ~HK