Chapter 1: Sick of You

El's POV
~~~
I was at home, in the kitchen, eating waffles, while on my laptop. It was the usual Monday evening. Mike was at work and I was still out of a job. I guess being in the lab all of those years caused me to fall behind in many subjects, and I never fully understood them as well as other people.

Mike had a decent job, so we were able to rent a small house. But, Mike hadn't been around much lately, which worried me. I messed with the wedding ring on my finger. I would often catch him sneaking out or coming home late. What was he doing? Was he cheating on me? I didn't want to assume the worst, but that thought always came to mind.

This evening though, he was later than usual, and I had had it. I finally had built up enough courage to confront him.

At 9pm he walked through the door, hanging up his coat and running upstairs.

"Mike! Mike, wait, please, I need to talk to you."

"Hold on! I'll only be a minute!"

I was not going to wait at the bottom of that staircase for another second. I raced up the stairs, up to our bedroom.

The door was locked.

"Mike, you in there?"

"Yeah, hold on a second."

I waited impatiently, outside our bedroom door. Finally, it opened.

"Yeah?" Mike asked. His hair was a mess and he had changed out of formal attire into more comfortable clothing.

"We need to talk."

I walked into the room and shut the door behind me.

"Ok, sure, what about?"

"What about? Are you serious? Don't play dumb with me!"

"El, calm down. What's gotten into you?"

"You know what? I'm sick of this. I'm sick of you!"

"Oh come on El, you don't mean that, do you?"

He tried to put his hand on my shoulder, but I pushed it away.

"Oh don't you dare act like nothing's wrong! I know you've been up to something, Michael Wheeler!"

"What?"

"I'm sick of it! I'm sick of you sneaking out all of the time and never telling me where you're going or when you'll be back! I'm sick of you!" I yelled, throwing a pillow at him and sitting on the bed.

"El, let me explain. I-"

"Am I not good enough for you?! I never was, was I?" I yelled between sobs.

"El, no, don't talk like that. What's gotten into you?"

"Well, I hope you're happy!! I'm sorry that I've been nothing but a burden! I-"

"I got laid off!" Mike cut me off.

"What?"

"I've been working extra hours because I wanted to save up enough money. Everyone was getting laid off, and I wanted to have some money saved up if I did. And, I did get laid off, today actually."

"So, you're out of a job?"

"Yes, I'm out of a job. Did you actually think I would cheat on you?"

"I didn't know what to think."

Mike's eyes were full of pain and hurt.

"How could you possibly think me to be so unfaithful?"

Mike sat down next to me on the bed and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a hug.

"Eleven Wheeler, I am in love with you, and no other."

I felt so bad. I just cried into Mike's chest as he comforted me.