Chapter 7: Figuring it out.

Lapis was zooming around her room, trying to figure out what to wear, what perfume to use, and what makeup to put on. ‘I have to look absolutely perfect for Peridot! I can’t show up to her own house looking like trash!’

A little after the call from Peridot, Lapis ushered both Pearl and Bismuth out of her house and quickly began getting ready to go to Peridot’s house. There was no real weight behind the invitation, it was quite literally going over to a friend’s house, but to Lapis... the offer had her thoughts in a frenzy as if Peridot just confessed her love to the Bluenette.

Lapis looked into her closet, her hair still wet from the shower she just took, and finally decided on an outfit. It was a very formal looking one, almost like something one would wear on a date.

Lapis’ heart beat rapidly at the thought of taking Peridot out on a date.

She quickly changed and then looked through her different bottles of perfume, finding the one that she thought Peridot would enjoy the most. She sprayed some on herself and then applied some light makeup. ‘God, this stuff is a pain to put on.’ She thought. ‘For Peri, though… it's worth it.’

Lapis soon finished getting ready, checking herself in the mirror. She grabbed her phone and her car keys and quickly made her way out of her room. She was about to open the front door to the house when it opened for her.

Lapis froze as she saw her mother enter the house, still dressed in her waitress uniform. Her eyes were closed and her face held a tired expression. She set her keys down on the counter beside her as she rubbed the sleep away from her eyes. She slowly opened them only to see her daughter, dressed up and smelling like she was ready for a date.

“Lapis… What're you doing dressed like that? Are you going somewhere?” Turquoise asked sleepily.

Lapis hesitated before speaking up. “U-Uh,  just going over to a friend's house. Something about school work, no need to worry.” She said nervously.

“Must be some friend to get you to wear perfume. Can I at least know the name this ‘friend?’” Turquoise asked.

“P-Peridot…”

Turquoise eyebrows shot up at this statement. “I thought you didn't like Peridot that much?”

“W-Well, you know… Things change.” Lapis said, fidgeting with her hands. She desperately wanted to tell her mom all about why she DID like Peridot, but she was already running late, and she still needed to make another stop before her house.

“Well, try to be back by 9, okay? You have school tomorrow.” Turquoise said before laying down on the couch.

“Sure thing, mom. Love you.”

Turquoise let out a tired smile. “Love you too, sweety. Tell your ‘friend’ I said hi.”

“I will, mom”

Lapis quickly rushed out the door and towards her car, determined not to waste any more time. She got in, started up the vehicle, and pulled out of the driveway.

As Lapis drove down the road, she kept her eye out for a very specific shop she needed to stop at. Once she found it, she quickly parked and ran inside, buying what she needed and getting back into her car.

It was only in her car that she realized she didn't actually know where Peridot lived.

She shot her a quick text, got the address, and was on her way again.

As she drove closer and closer to the destination, she started to realize how much… nicer everything was becoming. The cars were getting more expensive, the houses were getting bigger. Everything made Lapis feel uncomfortably out of place in her beat-up little blue car.