=/=/=/=

9:38 PM

Lost Nathan, have a headache, called my dad to pick me up.

Ana... no post-prom bowling? *Whine*

Nope. I came. I danced. And now I'm done.

Did he try anything? How was it?

It was fine. My dad's here. Gotta go. Be safe... xo

You know it ;) xo

Oh no... I think a winky smiley might be code for: I stole a condom from my brother's sock drawer and have it in my purse, so no worries!

I'm shivering in my backless, sleeveless dress, my satin wrap providing no warmth at all. In the dark, outside the school, alone... This is not the way that I envisioned this night. But above all, I am just relieved to get away from that hormone-fest in the gym.

Ray's old, green truck rattles into the parking lot and I hop in, thankful for the warmth and familiarity that it provides.

"Buckle up kiddo. Headache, huh?"

"Yep. Thanks for coming to get me."

Ray, in his usual taciturn way, doesn't say anything more. He just turns up the heat, adjusting so that it's blasting my upper body, and drives us home.

Senior Prom? Total fail.

=/=/=/=

"That's it... you just kissed? Once? That's odd." Kate and I are in our usual spots on my bed, only this time she's practically vibrating with news of her no-longer-a-virgin status.

I just shrug, ready to get the attention off of me. So I don't have to relive how his touch made me want to crawl out of my skin. How the only hands... tongue... anything I want on me are Coach Grey's. How he's been joining me in my dreams all year long. As much as my body sings with thoughts of him, I know that part of it is that he's unattainable. And that make him safe.

"... and ANYWAY, he was so sweet and gentle... I mean, it was - quick - but it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. And even though I didn't - you know - this time..."

I just smile and nod, letting Kate tell me way more than I want to know. After all, it's not like I'm going to let another boy's hands on me anytime soon. So I might as well live viacarously through my best friend's sexcapades. I'm gonna be a spinster with a hot pink vibrator and a hundred cats, bringing my fantasies to life with my own two hands.

=/=/=/=

Last week of school

CPOV

"Ana, if you could stay for a minute after class? I have your portfolio," I say as the bell rings to end sixth period.

She nods and comes up to my desk as the other students file out noisily, the boys pushing and shoving and the girls giggling. Ana has somehow always managed to get along with her classmates, at least on the surface, while staying above their adolescent behaviors.

She's graduating this weekend, and has offers with full-ride scholarships to three major universities. All of them have stellar track and field and academic records, but the English programs at LSU and the University of Oregon are top-notch. Students can take classes within the departments at any time, but must submit a portfolio of their work to be officially considered for acceptance into the major.