chapter 1 - Pilot

Lima, Ohio

Day One

Morning - McKinley High School - Football Field

(Song:) Let Me Be - Josh Gabriel

The cheerleading squad, the Cheerios, were practicing their routine on the field. They were being watched and timed by Sue Sylvester, their coach. An eighth grader, a younger sister to the head cheerleader Quinn Fabray, Claire, was watching.

Sara Sylvester walked toward her sister. "Sue?"

"Well, it's about time you and Ricky made it back to Lima, Sara," Sue told her. "Good thing, too. You're a dancing coach. I'm a cheerleading coach. These sorry excuses for cheerleaders need to get in shape."

"Take it easy," Sara told her.

One of the cheerleaders fell from the top of the formation.

"You think this is hard?" Sue asked. "Try being waterboarded. That's hard." She patted her sister on the shoulder. "Welcome back, Sara. We got our work cut out for us."

Sara nodded slightly with a small smirk.

♫ Worlds Colliding (Glee) ♫

Jade House - Living Room

Sisters Annika and Aviva Jade were at home, playing on guitars, singing a rift.

Their mother Amy was nearby, taking care of their paralyzed father, Oliver. "Aviva. Annika. Let's go. You don't want to be late for your first day back, do you?" Annika and Aviva just looked at her, smirking, continuing to play. "Look, I know this is hard."

"Seeing you sick and dying and Dad paralyzed for the rest of his life, never knowing when either of yours are gonna end?" Aviva asked sarcastically. "Yeah. Yeah, why would that be hard?"

Aviva put her guitar down, walking away.

Annika sighed, chasing after her. "Aviva. Viv!" She turned to her parents. "I know we're supposed to be taking care of you, but who's gonna take care of us when you're gone?" She was clearly making herself be more angry, so she didn't have to feel so sad. "I'm sorry, Mom. I'm sorry, Dad. But what happens if we lose both of you?"

"Annika, you're not going to to," Oliver told her. "Aviva, I'm so sorry."

Annika and Aviva both looked close to tears.

Fabray House - Kitchen

The Fabrays were having breakfast before school.

"Are you excited, Claire?" the mother, Judy, asked. "Cheerleading tryouts are today for middle school."

"Yeah, and Coach Sylvester said you definitely have the moves to pull off for a Cheerio next year, and maybe even this year as like an intern or something," Quinn explained.

Claire was clearly not happy, nodding. "Right. Yeah. I'm--I'm thrilled."

The father, Russel, took a bite. "Oh, your mother--"

"We," Judy corrected.

"Thought you might like to have this with you today, for good luck," Russel told her.