ONE.

ONE
Merriwald never forgets - it simply ignores

   It was June 11, 1994 when all went to shit for me. The last day of school, a festive day that many students, admittedly including myself, absolutely adored. Being able to empty that backpack, which had already been at death's door due to the abundant amounts of work by my PoS math teacher, Mr. Wersch and heavy binders, had been a blessing. Like something from God himself, or whatever mom's pastor said.
    It was lunch, I was sitting with the Thomas twins, Jules and Joséphine, and my best friend, Callum Meadows. We were talking about whatever the fuck teenagers talked about in the 90s. Jules had brought this boy named Emmet Finley, a boy whom I had had a friendly relationship since Kindergarten without being friends friends with. And honestly, the guy wasn't too bad, he was a little quiet but honestly, who could've blamed him? Emmet was a joke to many in the school, mostly the popular crowd, because of a rumor that he gave fellatio for places to stay the night.
    Most knew the rumor was absolute bull, but they wouldn't outright admit it, nor defend the poor guy, due to the fear of becoming a target as well. But I didn't mind being stared at by others, to me it was nice to finally get some attention. Even if it was for sitting next to a you-know-what (I think it's an easy guess what the dimwitted fuckers would call Emmet).
     So there I was, Connor Turner, sitting with a pushover, a self-dubbed "disgrace", loudmouth, and a homo. What a group, honestly. That's when I felt her presence, one that demanded attention wherever she was. You couldn't go a day without hearing her name at least thrice from your classmates. It didn't matter whether it was from a rumor she had started, a rumor about her, or simply her new choker. You would most definitely hear her name. Savannah Hudson. The she-devil, according to Cal.
     However, I was one of the lucky few to be on her good side. We were cool due to the fact that we had been friends way before her outright bitchy-side had set in. That had given me an instant immunity against her gossiping. I considered her a friend, I would let her stay over some times and vice versa. We were the kind of friends that only hung out in private, not that she insisted it be that way. I do honestly believe she would've liked to have a more public friendship, if not for her social status at the school.
    The dirty-blonde girl sat next to me, and had given me a slight smile, one that had gone as quickly as it had come. "So I see you're still hanging with these..." She continued, "Things."
"Yeah, I guess I am."
She tossed her hair to the side with her scrunchy-adorned wrist and sneered, unhappy that I hadn't even bothered to try and make a comeback. "Well anyways, I just came to tell you that there's a party at Andy Cheschyres hours for the end-of-year party," She paused, glancing distastefully at my company, who didn't seem too fond of her either. "You should come, everybody's invited, even those things." Then, just like that she had gone, leaving her lingering aura behind.
     "Hey, Connor. Quick question," Cal said.
     "Yeah?"
     "What the hell was that?"

____