Chapter Five

Chapter Five   Louis

"Briony, could you please just write one paragraph? One teensy, weensy paragraph?" I ask.

Still, Briony remains stubborn.

"No! Write your own Transfiguration essay!"

I scowl at her.

"Fine. I guess I'll just talk to Alice, and not you."

She smirks and raises her eyebrows, saying, "I am perfectly fine with that."

I turn to Alice, who was reading a book on Charms.

"Hello!" I say pleasantly.

"Louis, I'm not writing the essay for you. And if you hadn't been messing around in class and throwing pencils at Drew, this wouldn't be a problem!"

I sigh and stare at the ground.

"Here, Louis. I took notes." Briony reluctantly gives me a few pieces of parchment.

 "Thank you, you are the best person I have ever met in my entire life." I say, grinning at her.

She rolls her eyes.

I look through the notes. They basically write the essay for me. After pretty much copying the notes into sentences, I return them to Briony.

I sit for a few seconds, then turn to Casey, who was practicing the Wingardium Leviosa spell with a second year, named Liam.

"No, not like that! You're flourishing your wand too much, you'll take someone's eye out!"

 "You know, I'm just going to stop for right now."

I smirked at her.

She turns to me and scoffs, "Oh, like you could do better, Tomlinson."

"Actually, I'm sure I could."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!"

"Fine, try it."

"Oh, I want to see this." I hear Drew say behind me.

I take out my wand and give Casey one last smug look. Then I point it at a peice of pottery on the table before saying the incantation, "Wingardium Leviosa!"

Drew and I have just enough time to duck our heads before the clay pot flies throught the air and crashes on a wall behind us.

Casey gives a I-told-you-so kind of look, and then thanks Liam, picks up her books, and walks up the stairs to the girls dormitory. I glare in her direction and mutter, "At least I got something in the air."

Drew laughs at me.

"Hey, do you guys want to go hang out by the lake?" Alice asks Briony.

"Yeah, sure." she answers.

I turn slyly to them.

"Can we come?"

Alice sighs and looks at Briony, who returns the look of evident dislike on her face.

"Fine. It's not like we can keep you from coming."

Drew and I cheer.

We walk out to the lake. There's a light, pleasant breeze. Perfect weather to be outdoors.

I pick up a flat rock and rub my thumb against it. Then I throw it out to the water. It skips on the surface of the lake, two, three, four, five times.

I grin proudly at Drew. 

"Bet you can't do better than that."

He shakes his black hair out of his blue eyes and shrugs. He then takes a smooth rock and throws it as I did. He smirks at my dumbfounded expression when the rock skips seven times.

Soo, Alice, Briony, Drew, and I are in a rock skipping war. In the end, Alice wins with a total of thirteen skips. Drew and I insisted that she was cheating somehow, but she denied it every time.

The rest of the night, we all tried to figure out how she did it, but in the end we narrowed it down to simple luck.

That night, I went to sleep and dreamed of being chased by a giant rock on a pond, and Briony laughing because there was a frog dancing on top of my head.