Chapter Two

Chapter Two  Harry

"No, Louis, you can not make her hair purple!" I scold him.

"Why not?" he whines.

"Because you can't!"

"But my mum taught me a good charm! It'll only last a few hours or so." He pleads with me.

I sigh. We've been arguing for five minutes over whether or not Louis could charm Casey's hair purple. She is still sound asleep.

Louis pouts.

"You know what, nevermind. I'll just try it on someone else." he grins wickedly at Briony.

"If you even come CLOSE to my hair, you'll regret it." she snaps at him.

"Fine, calm down." he rolls his eyes.

I smirk. They have been fighting the most of the train ride, about everything from Bertie Bott's Beans flavors to how a muggle television works.

We are nearly to Hogwarts. I tap Casey on the arm.

She quickly sits up.

"Whazgoinon?" she asks, rubbing her eyes.

Fifteen minutes 'till Hogwarts." I say.

"Ok." she mumbles, leaning her head against the window as we wait to arrive at the school.

All too soon, we are riding in small boats across the Black Lake to the towering stone structure looming over our heads. Many first years are chattering nervously about being sorted, and others just sit in silence, letting the brisk wind whistle through their ears. After stepping carefully off the boats, we walk inside a massive, intricately carved door. A grand staircase is waiting for us, and a tall, sharp looking woman with green robes.

"Follow me." she says. We tentatively walk up the steps after her. She leads us into a large room that has a set of doors across from the stairs. The doors open, and we all step into the room.

'Room' is not an appropriate word for it. It's huge, a whole house could fit in there, and the ceiling  is the night sky with candles floating in mid-air. There are four long tables, with students sitting at them. They all stare at us with keen interest. We walk down the isles next to the tables. There is a seperate table for who I guess are the teachers. Some look down kindly at us, while others glower with scowls on their menacing faces.

A stool with a hat that looks a bit worse for wear is in front of the table. The wowan who led us to the dining hall stands beside it, as though waiting for something. Suddenly, the brim of the hat opens, as though it has a mouth, and then begins to sing.

"Many, many years ago, there were four witches and wizards here.

Four witches and wizards, the best sorcerers of those years."

The hat explains how Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin formed the school Hogwarts, and how they made the sorting hat to put students in their houses when they died.

When the hat finishes his song, the woman conjures up a scroll and reads "Briony Branum!"

Briony smiles nervously at Casey and sits on the stool. The proffessor places the hat on Briony's head.

The hat takes a few momentsto decide, then screams,

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Briony sighs with relief and walks over to the Gryffindor table, where several people congratulate her and make room for her to sit.

The proffessor reads throught several names, such as,

"Ellie Bonner!" and  "Arlie Fancher!" and "Niall Horan!"

After Alice Reid is placed in Gryffindor, I know I'm next.

"Harold Styles!"

I nervously sit on the stool and bite my lip as the proffessor sets the hat on my head.

After about a minute, the hat screams out,

"SLYTHERIN!"

I see Louis' and Casey's eyes widen slightly.

Casey gives me a weak smile as I walk over to the cheering table.

Louis' name is called, and as soon as the hat touches his head, it screams out, "GRYFFINDOR!"

The triumphant smile on his face is hard to miss. He sits at the roaring Gryffindor table, beaming.

A few more names are called, and then I hear, "Casey Webb!"

I raptly pay attention as she walks on stage, nearly tripping over one of the small steps. People at the Slytherin table snicker. She blushes a bit, but mainly just brushes it off.

She sits on the stool and the hat is placed on her head.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Casey grins widely and joins the cheering table, sitting next to Briony and Louis.

I finally take a moment to glance around my table. Many of the students are quite malicious looking, though a few look a bit nice.

I sigh and stare at the table. A second later I hear someone clear their throat. I look up, and sitting across from me is another first year, I think his name was Blake.

"Hi, I'm Blake."

He sticks his hand out.

"Harry." I say, shaking his outstretched hand.

"This is Leo."

He points to a menacing kid next to him, who leers at me.

I grimace and nod my head at him.

"We noticed you sitting alone, mind if we join you?" he asks.

"Sure, that's fine."

"Thanks."

I nod again.

I turn and listen as the proffessor woman opens her mouth and begins to deliver a a speech.